Thread: Whats the best medication thats fast acting for anxiety?

Whats the best medication thats fast acting for anxiety?

My doctor has decided to wean me off diazepam which even though I felt it had no effect anyway, its secretly killing me. Whenever I was having a really bad panic episode (once so badly hyperventilated I turned blue and passed out) the action of taking the diazepam maybe helped in a placebo kind of way.

My anxiety is terrifying me lately. I already have lung damage from blood clots and asthma on top of this which is flaring up lately.

I think at the moment I have an ear and chest infection and I'm finding hard to breathe which is making me panic really badly.

I have no diazepam left and they wouldn't give me any even if I asked.

I don't think I can do without medication. Already taking antidepressants just to get through. However for acute anxiety episodes what works best?

I'm hoping theres a medication out there that actually works on relaxing you.

Re: Whats the best medication thats fast acting for anxiety?

Maybe ask your GP for some Propranolol? Not sure if you can take it if you have asthma though?

I was briefly on Metaprolol for an irregular and rapid heartbeat. I took it twice a day, once with breakfast and again with dinner. I did have to take it with food. I'm not sure if it could be used during panic attacks, as needed? I ended up having a few side effects with it, so went off them after about 10 days. It did regulate and slow down my heartbeat.

You could also look into taking something over the counter, as long as it doesn't interfere with your other meds (definitely check first). I've read some positive things about Valerian Root, but I haven't tried it yet myself. Apparently it can be used for insomnia as well as anxiety.

I'm personally going to start taking a few vitamin supplements. Someone on another thread had good results when they started taking Magnesium and Vitamin D pills. I plan to take those, plus Vitamin B12. I figure it can't hurt:-).

Sorry to hear your trouble Katie.

Pregabalin is effective for many people, if often used to help people get off diazepam etc., has similar effects as Diazepam, and often works very quickly, so perhaps it's worth discussing with your doctor.

It's not an 'emergency' pill though, but it can help to calm you down generally. Plenty of people here have found it useful, including me. It can be used at the same time as most AD meds, though your doctor will have to check this with whatever AD you're taking.

Hope you get well soon,

Albert

Thread Information