Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulsing Sensation In Left Ear!!!!!

Exclamation Pulsing Sensation In Left Ear!!!!!

Someone help, i keep getting a weird hearbeaty pulse like sensation inside my left ear and its freaking my out, WHAT IS THIS PLEASE HELP ME

Re: Pulsing Sensation In Left Ear!!!!!

Not being funny but it could just be your heartbeat. Is it a very rapid, flicking sensation? I think that's just trapped air or a muscle tremor... I occasionally get that.

EDIT: I also only notice it in my left ear.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I get this in my left ear too, think its just my heartbeat.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Could just be palpitations. I get it in my right ear.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi, Could be congestion in the ear canals, which also affect balance

Relax, you have nothing to worry about. About 6 months ago I developed exactly the same thing. I googled it and convinced myself it was a blood clot or brain tumour etc. It was a horrible pulsing sensation in my left ear which lasted for days. I could make it stop by pressing gently on the main artery in my neck which convinced me it was a vascular problem.

I was so freaked out by this symptom that I went to the gp about it. He basically gave me the impression I was wasting his time, said it was very common and was a minor ear infection even though I had no other symptoms and no noticeable inflammation in my ear.

I went home, lived with this horrible annoyance for about a week longer, then it disappeared. Completely disappeared.

It's harmless.

Hearing a heartbeat sound in your ear could be pulsatile tinnitus, which is not a condition but rather a set of symptoms caused by an underlying condition. There are many possible causes, so it's impt to get it checked out by a doctor. For more info, see http://www.whooshers.com, an online support forum for individuals with pulsatile tinnitus.

Whoosher, do you not realise that promoting your own site is generally frowned upon in forums. Especially when the content of your post is misleading and scare mongering

Skippy66, I am simply telling people with this very real symptom that there is a support forum devoted to them. Despite your implication, this is not a profit making site. Zero money is made or solicited on the site. The site has been linked to by reputable tinnitus associations, including the American Tinnitus Association.

As a pulsatile tinnitus sufferer myself, I disagree with your impression of my post as being "misleading" and "scare mongering." In fact, in most cases, pulsatile tinnitus is not life threatening. But it is important to have it checked out by a doctor. Pulsatile tinnitus is rare, and many doctors rarely see a patient walk in their office with these symptoms. Even ENTs. As a result, they may not be familiar with the symptoms and possible causes, and in turn they often tell patients nothing is wrong with them and just "live with it."

If you'd visit the site you'd see firsthand stories from others who have experienced this. You'd read about people who have been cured. Some people went to their doctors for months, years even decades before the cause was found.

Instead of being critical, I encourage you to read about pulsatile tinnitus, so you can be in a better position to understand what it is, how much support and information is needed by the community of sufferers and the reason for my post below. And if you don't want or need the information, then I'm glad. But please don't attack me for trying to help others.

One more thing. If the whooshing sound goes away on its own then that's one thing, but if it does not, even despite things you may try (changes to diet, acupuncture, etc.) then it's even more important to get medical attention. As a patient who has had this for almost one year (and having heard for others who have had the whooshing for much longer), I can say with experience that this symptom does not always go away on its own. Sometimes -sometimes- it is something of medical concern.

Beyond that, it's important for patients to have coping mechanisms. These symptoms can be difficult to deal with on a daily basis. That's another reason why a support forum plays an important part in treatment.

To put simply: a doctor's office is certainly a much more appropriate place to be diagnosed or given medical advice than a forum like this or anywhere else.

Finally, telling people they have "nothing to worry about" on this forum (or any other forum) when you know little to nothing of their medical history is in itself misleading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information