Thread: did I get an electric shock?

did I get an electric shock?

I was sitting on PC just now with headphones plugged in, moved my knee and headphones snapped - like the long wire snapped out of the small bit at the end where you plug it into the PC... It didnt really hurt in fact I think it only brushed my finger but I started panicing that I might have received an electric shock - is this possible, considering headphones are full of wires? I thought since the laptop wasnt plugged in then I'm maybe at less risk? It happened fifteen mins ago and I feel OK, apart from tired and a bit tingly in that arm (but that only came on since panicing) and chest pain (again, only came on with anxiety) and a headache... Just want to be sure I'm OK before I try to get some sleep? I now I'm a bit daft as I chew on my ipod headphones all the time, they always have wires exposed so surely its the same principle but I just can't shrug it off?
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Re: did I get an electric shock?

It would hurt if there was something to worry about right?
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

NHS direct says to go to A&E and I really don't wanna take another trip up there nor do I want to phone them again - phoned 3 times in a fortnight?

wow um you seem ok, I think you will be fine, did you feel a shock?
    A bad shock would be where your whole arm tenses up and jerks.
    I think your symptoms are just anxiety.
    You know slendertone? well that shocks your muscles and makes them contact and that is pretty safe.
    Also I get small shocks all the time, even off shopping trollys lol
    There would not be enough voltage in the headphones to cause you any harm x x

Hi there,

don't worry, the amount of current going through the wire to your headphones is so small you wouldn't feel it even if you touched it.

If you felt anything, or heard anything in the headphones, it was probably the vibration of the cable as it snapped.

If the cable snapped cleanly out of the socket it would have made a break in the +/- sides of the circuit anyway so there'd be no electricity flowing through it.

If you did get a huge shock you'd know, and if you're able to sit and type afterwards you're OK. Electricians get lots of shocks, and just shrug them off as an occupational hazard, and they're usually dealing with full fat electricity!

get some sleep.......

I don't think it would cause any problems as the voltage is so low! I've had a couple of electric shocks in the past an believe me ya wouldn't be able to sit an type if it was a problem! Nhs direct have to be careful especially when it comes to chest and arm pain I guess that's why they wanted you checked! You know tho its just anxiety! Xxxxx

Thread Information