Thread: IBS ...What has helped in 2 weeks..

IBS ...What has helped in 2 weeks..

Hi all

I know we all have an idea of what we should and shouldn,t eat from the DR and the WEB ...

BAD..

pizza , beer , spicy foods , alcohol , coke , fatty foods etc etc...

Good....( apparantly )

Wholemeal bread , pasta , fresh fruit , low fat , etc...

I just thought i would share this after haveing a month of chronic stomach / ibs issues (i get confused which is which as one sets the other off ).

I,ve ate nothing (or next to nothing) with additives or E numbers in it for 2 weeks , basically just a bland but healthy diet low in fat and plenty of veg.

Breakfast .....eg..

Wholemeal toast no spread , boiled egg and a apple .

Lunch...

Home made soup ...lentil , potatoe and leek , mushroom , vegatable soup , pearl barley and chicken etc ....plus more fruit .

Dinner...(or Tea in My house )

Baked spud with flora , LOADS OF VEG ...brocolia , carrots , leeks , boiled mushroom , more pulses cabbage etc... with lean chicken cooked myself and the left overs used for the next day or butties (i,m not posh )

The reason i,ve posted this is because i,ve found these types of foods much better than i thought , feel fuller , don,t want pizza,s , mc donalds as they seem tasteless now .
    Don,t get me wrong i,m no Angel but i really don,t miss all the crap .

Hope it might help someone , and just wonder if E numbers and Additives play a part in ibs .

Re: IBS ...What has helped in 2 weeks..

Thanks for sharing! I also notice my IBS is much more manageable when I stick to the "good foods" and avoid anything fatty, spicy, or heavy. The good news is that by eating healthier, I've lost weight and don't have as many stomach issues as before.

Glad its working for you aswell
    I slipped up , ate some fatty foods (bacon and spicy stuff) and ibs thats been with me for a week .
    Its just proved to me i need to keep off the rubbish and on the plain stuff which i,m still enjoying .

Hi
    Im in the middle of a flair up at the moment and I know what you mean about not knowing which sets which off - ie I can get pain and bloating and cant work out if its my stomach or my bowel and so dont know if to take a ranitadene or a buscopan!!Grrr - wish I could stop it flairing up in the first place. Ive also found that either the ibs sets my back problem off or the other way round and can be worse in the week before my period or if I miss a bowel movement (sorry TMI) and end up constipated.
    As for food I cant work out what sets it off, I know stress and anxiety can definatly set it off but have never done anything about food - dont really know where to start - any advice???

I find that I CAN'T eat wholemeal bread or lots of veg, that's what makes my IBS worse. Also, too much wheat. It's trial and error but if you can find what triggers it for yourself, it makes life a whole lot easier. I don't suffer much now that I know what to avoid. x

Have a look at the post I just made on this tread - Ive put a link on for NICE guidlines on what food we should avoid according to our symptoms - fingers crossed if I follow this I may make some progress and it seems Ive been eating all the wrong stuff!!

Thread Information