Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to go doctors asap?

Re: Need to go doctors asap?

If you want to go down the medication route then you might get something immediately. You will hopefully get referred for CBT/Talking therapy.

Have you tried meds? I know they work for some people but not for others, I think I would try them to see if they help I do know it takes a couple of weeks to get used to them but if it helps in the long run I will give them a go. How do use manage to deal with your anxiety?

I expect the GP will refer you to a psychiatrist who will assess you and recommend what treatment you should follow. I found my mental health team friendly and kind, so you shouldn't be afraid of meeting them. Remember, all these people have only one reason to see you - to help you.

I have wrote down what I want to tell the doctor but I think it is too much it is 2 pages long.. nervous now that I have actually wrote all this down! Do you think it's too long and they might think I'm faking it?

The doctor won't even consider whether you're faking unless there is some special reason you're going to the doctor, like:

1. Wanting a sick note off work
    2. Making a claim on an insurance policy or in a legal case
    3. Claiming Employment and Support Allowance but that's a separate process altogether, isn't it?

I presume there's nothing like that.

All the detail you wrote could be useful to a psychiatrist but I would edit it to one page max for the GP. Aidan makes a good point, you could print it out and just give it to the doctor to read. Take your time to edit it so it's clear and concise because GP's are pressed for time usually.

Got my appointment this week.. I've wrote down what to say about 5 times and they all seem too long.. do you think this will be okay or I should provide more information?

I think I have got social anxiety disorder because I can't go out of the house at all. I feel like everyone is watching me and judging me. I feel like everyone is talking and laughing at me. I can't talk to people it's like the words don't come out of my mouth, especially meeting someone new. I get scared incase I say the wrong thing. When I'm in a social sittuation I feel so uncomfortable, I get panic attacks, I go dizzy, I stutter, I sweat, I shake, I can't breath, I go red in the face, and I feel like they can notice this and will think I'm weird. I feel intimidated by everyone. When I try to go out I have panic attacks and I get extreamly nervous. I get pains in my belly and have to run back home as I get diorreha or I will throw up. I don't speak to my friends anymore. I can't speak on the phone because I get too nervous. I hide in my room when family visit. I can't eat infront of people as I feel like I'm being watched and judged it makes me physically not be able to swallow the food and I go dizzy and feel sick. I always make excuses and put of social occasions.

In my opinion that's enough. I would expect a referral to a psychiatric team who can go into more detail. As I said... they're all nice people who are only there to help you.

Hello,

Been there... Right down to getting dizzy & unable to breathe & not wanting to step outside. Slowly climbing out of it. I second maybe having someone go with you whether it's a parent or otherwise. Know that you will get help and nobody is going to think you're faking it. Counseling may be of help, I just had my first session and my anxiety was broken down into social & health.

The best way to get out is going to be exposure. Start off slow. Go for a walk on the block maybe with someone you trust. Then go to the park. Etc etc.

The first step is to seek help which you are doing. You will likely be referred for therapy & may be given medication right then & there by your GP. I wish you well & keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Panicer View Post
    Hi Erin

There's some really good advice there from Aiden, Matt and Dave. All I would add is the first time I went to the doctors with anxiety I was in a right mess. Shaking, could hardly speak etc, etc. The GP however was brilliant and seeing me in such a state was probably the best thing that could have happened. GP's are really used to seeing this type of thing and just letting a doctor know how bad I was feeling made me feel immediately better. The doctor may prescribe something to help you and put you in touch with counseling etc. I wish I'd known about writing stuff down beforehand that would have really helped. You could always just hand over the note to the doctor or read from it yourself. Although speaking to receptionists can be scary they are also totally used to dealing with people in this state. Or ask your mum to phone on your behalf. Good luck and go for it. The longer you leave it the harder it becomes.
    I agree with you Panicer, my doctor saw me in an hysterical state, I was crying, I couldn't concentrate and was just a mess. I'm very sensitive to medication and I explained this to her. We discussed what I tried in the past, what worked, why I didn't stick with them. If writing things down ahead of time helps, then do it. I am now on 25mg of Zoloft which is very, very small. I won't sugar coat it, the first 3 weeks were rough but I stuck with it and my anxiety is manageable. I can sweep out the negative thoughts and function today. I wish you the best and keep posting, there are a bunch of nice people here.

Hi Erin

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through right now. You do not have to suffer like this on your own.
    I was wondering I did this when I was suffering a bad case of anxiety and depression too when I had to see my doctor. Have you thought about writing a letter. Writing down everything that is going on, how you are feeling and anything else you can think of that you feel the doctor should know.
    If you write this letter in your safe place which is in your home then it should be less scary and daunting.
    That way when you do make an appointment to see your doctor you can take your letter along with you and give it to them to have a read.
    All the information will be there for them and you will not have to explain anything, if you have someone close like a member of your family or a friend come along with you for support then that would be even better.
    But I do hope you are able to make that step in getting yourself better, you have fought so long as it is honey and its important you make that step in looking after yourself.
    I understand it is so hard but I know you can do it. I wish I was there to help you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information