Thread: Symptoms including derealisation-esque vision since hitting head

Symptoms including derealisation-esque vision since hitting head

Apologies for the long post, but I'm yet to have a reply of note on other forums asked, so I'd appreciate the help.

So on Wednesday morning I banged my head in and around the right temple. A couple of hours after, I had to go out, but a couple of hours after I got home I started to develop some symptoms with have become more and more irritating in the shape of derealisation-esque vision as well as extreme muscle tension in and around the ear area of the right side of my head which have remained pretty much the same since.

After waking up the following morning I felt okay at first until I realised that my vision still felt detached. Since then I've fixated on my symptoms most of the time and because I became so stressed out I decided to go to a walk-in centre for some checks. They couldn't do scans or anything there, so instead went over procedures involving my eyes, touching things infront of me with my eyes closed, following the nurse's finger, taking my blood pressure and more. She said I should be okay but it could potentially be mild concussion that is making me feel a bit off. I did also mention my anxiety.

Since then, I've still worried about my symptoms but am trying to detach myself and let myself recover. Obviously, the problem is, the symptoms I have are quite unique and although I want them to go, it's hard for me to make myself believe they're the cause of anxiety, because they came along after I hit my head in the first place. The tension is very annoying, but the vision thing is the main thing that worries me. I can see properly in the sense that nothing around me is blurry and I can identify things easily still, but I just feel detached from my surroundings or whatever I'm trying to involve myself in. For example, if I'm on a video game, I feel like I have to adjust my eyes to focus on certain areas of the screen at once and because it feels so weird, I tend to have to do something else soon after.

I guess what I'm asking is, has anybody else ever had similar symptoms where, because you're worried about getting those symptoms you end up forcing them into reality because you're worried? I know I probably just need to distract myself and it'll speed up my recovery but it's just so hard to involve myself in something other than my symptoms when I can't focus properly on something without saying to myself about how awkward my vision feels at present. Sorry for the long post, but I'd really appreciate responses. Thank you

Re: Symptoms including derealisation-esque vision since hitting head

Hello,
    First off,I think you did the right thing by going to the doctor's as head trauma should always be taken seriously. If they said it's ok then you're ok.
    I really think that what's happening right now is that you're scared and are experiencing these symptoms as a result. Fear is very powerful and your mind channels is into your anxiety symptoms
    As for willing the symptoms into existence,I've definitely fine that. Being scared of depersonalisation always seems to bring it on for me.
    I hope you're feeling a little better soon. ☺

Re: Symptoms including derealisation-esque vision since hitting head

I have the sensation of 'being inside my own head' before, a conversation sounds like im listening to myself 3rd party and that if i look down, my hands dont seem to be mine , to be real. However! I got over thos 100%.....you've already mentioned both the cause and ultimately cure. Too Much focusing on the issue. Any anxiety/panic related issue can be solved once you allow your brain to realise it is not harmful. Your not crazy etc....its a byproduct of a harmless ancient brain product thats ensured our evolution has been a strong and succesful one. Although a complete pain in the ass and often terryfying....its no more scary than a horror film....it fills you with terror, without actually being harmful or real. I experienced this when i was 21'ish...im now 26....altho i still hate the feeling, i can get rid of it easily by almost treating it like a bully....ignore it, know its a coward at heart, and basically if you ignore and accept its not harmful, it always gets bored and dissapears.

Thread Information