Thread: Propranolol 80mg slow release with alcohol

Question Propranolol 80mg slow release with alcohol

Firstly, I am aware that there are other threads about this, but they did not fully answer my questions so I have made this. Apologies if this is inappropriate!

I am on 80mg per day of propranolol and am going to a party next week where there will be alcohol. I would like to drink but am aware of the warning on the packaging that says you can't drink "lots" of alcohol "regularly".

How much alcohol is it safe to drink? I have read that you "get drunker quicker" and also experience more "drowsy" feelings but is it dangerous to drink to excess on propranolol?

I just want to make sure I have a good night and am safe, rather than passing out and ending up in hospital. Thankyou in advance for your responses!

Re: Propranolol 80mg slow release with alcohol

I do feel more drowsy when I have a drink on them. I usually just have a glass or two of wine, any more and I get a headache, where as before I could drink more without getting a headache.

If you are drinking only have one drink and wait see how you feel. Its not suggested to drink while on them but I have a few times and as long as you are careful and learn your new limits you should be okay.

Just be careful.

I can drink wine as normal on these (wine is my normal drink) but I recently went to a wedding and drank white wine on a fairly empty tum and then had a few shots. I have had vodka shots before but these were sambuca shots and I got very drunk very quickly. So much so I couldn't walk without help to the loo. Not proud of myself at all. My husband said one minute I was fine and the next minute I was pretty much out cold. I think it was a mix of drinking on an empty tum/anxiety about going to a social event/sambuca and my propranolol.

I would just make sure you eat properly before going out and pace yourself.

I drink a few glasses of wine quite regular (probably too regular) but alcohol definately affects me more now I'm on these tablets. I won't ever try sambuca again. Evil stuff!!

Just take your time and have a good night

I've been on prop LA 80mg for the better part of decade. I'm no drunk but still do my fair share of social drinking a couple nights a week. I've never had any problems at all.

Thread Information