Thread: Use of Acronyms

Use of Acronyms

During the last few weeks I have noticed an increased use of acronyms on the site.

Please remember that a lot of people will have no idea what the acronyms mean (I googled one tonight and still couldn't find the answer to what it was)

If you use acronyms in your posts then please remember to at least put one example of what it means into your posts as people can not reply to your threads if they have no idea what they are about

Many thanks
    Emmz

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Use of Acronyms

This came up before and at the time I said exactly the same as you are saying now, I haven't a clue what many of these are and when you have to stop and think for a minute what on earth it means you sort of lose your thought pattern and that's if you even guess it at all.

Sadly it's just a result of this texting, Facebook culture and something us more "old school" types will always struggle with I'm afraid.

i really wanted to post a link to bill bailey's comedy sketch about acronyms but apparently i havent posted enough to post a link. so if any one is interested- its very funny- search in youtube 'bill bailey internet acronyms'

Quote Originally Posted by lusus View Post
    i really wanted to post a link to bill bailey's comedy sketch about acronyms but apparently i havent posted enough to post a link. so if any one is interested- its very funny- search in youtube 'bill bailey internet acronyms'

Is it this one?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDYdxa2S7YY

yup! that's the one *chuckles* FAWA ' fight acronyms with acronyms'

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Is there a page or thread with a list anywhere?

A list of acronyms?

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie1989 View Post
    A list of acronyms?
    Yes, something for common ones. People can choose to use it rather than need to Google. Many are very common afterall and can be specific to the UK too so it's tiresome explaining things when those having the discussion already know what is being discussed.

Thread Information