Thread: Struggling with DO/DR and no one understands, need advice

Struggling with DO/DR and no one understands, need advice

I have agoraphobia (not housebound though) and some health anxiety, and childhood trauma. I was managing my anxiety (without meds - never been on them - yet) quite well for months. Now my stress has gone up due to triggers and just stressful events the past month and my DP/DR is back.

I keep having a sensation that I'm in a dream and I'm just about to wake up but I never do, which feels somehow very terrifying. I keep second guessing everything I do and my actions feel robotic. My mind is foggy, my senses are dulled, I keep getting waves of panic and a feeing that things just don't look real. I keep doing things like walking into a room and forgetting why I'm there.

Feeling a bit freaked out - it's 3am and I just woke up with severe depersonalisation. Couldn't feel my arms at all, and it felt like I was floating above my body somehow. I sat up gasping for air with my heart pounding because as soon as I realised I have depersonalisation I started freaking out and hyperventilating (idk why) and began to panic. After 1 min of deep breathing I felt like I was mostly "back in my body" as such (mostly)

I think I must've slept on my arms so they were numb, as I had red markings on them (you know if you lay on them and the bed sheets leave markings?), but they didn't get pins and needles like you normally do when blood rushes back to the area...

Anyway I'm completely terrified now, never experienced anything like it ☹️ I guess it was a night terror or I just on my slept arms but... I'm too scared to sleep now.

My parents don't understand as they haven't experienced it (which is understandable) and I have a psychologist but I can't see or speak to her until next week. Can anyone offer me advice on how to stop it? I've had it come and go before but I don't remember how it went.

Re: Struggling with DO/DR and no one understands, need advice

Hey I felt that robotic feeling for a year and a half after my first panic attack now I just don't feel like I'm me and it scares me because I know I am so it's dumb I've seen many doctors and said it's all anxiety and it will go soon as the anxiety goes away I'm panicking right now but it will be okay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad10 View Post
    Hey I felt that robotic feeling for a year and a half after my first panic attack now I just don't feel like I'm me and it scares me because I know I am so it's dumb I've seen many doctors and said it's all anxiety and it will go soon as the anxiety goes away I'm panicking right now but it will be okay!!!
    I feel the same way 💛 I was also told it's just anxiety and trauma and nothing more. Let me know if anything helps you with it 💛

Yah I've never had any trauma though :( mine I think came from my parents divorce 3 years ago and having to move across the country for hockey which was a big change for me

Thread Information