Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety caused from bad neighbours

Anxiety caused from bad neighbours

Hello, this is my first post on this forum so I hope this is in the right place.

Does anybody here feel anxiety due to their neighbours? I suffer from severe anxiety and depression and recently over the past few months my neighbour has just been making life unbearable since his actions have caused my anxiety to go through the roof in my own home, where I usually feel safe.

It started with loud noise/music, my partner had a word with him about it, then it progressed and we complained officially. It's been getting worse since then and he's put super glue in our door lock and banged on our door at midnight, screaming "stay away from my f***ing door you ba***rds"
    I can't cope with this any more and hoping someone here has experienced the same or can offer advice.

Re: Anxiety caused from bad neighbours

Man, that's ridiculous. I can't offer any advice except to contact the police. Perhaps put up a security camera above your door to deter future incidents. If you can get in touch with other neighbours who have been affected by the noise it might help to put some pressure on him.

There's also this: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho...discrimination

Quote Originally Posted by G.Samsa View Post
    Man, that's ridiculous. I can't offer any advice except to contact the police. Perhaps put up a security camera above your door to deter future incidents. If you can get in touch with other neighbours who have been affected by the noise it might help to put some pressure on him.

There's also this: (link removed due to under 10 posts)
    Unfortunately the police just tell me to contact my local council, since they no longer deal with that sort of thing (aside from the glue in the lock, but no evidence so no charges)
    I live in a council property and I'm not sure about being able to install my own cameras, though I've looked into it and they're so expensive
    I haven't tried the citizens advice yet though, so I may see how they can help, thank you.

You certainly shouldn't have to put up with that and whats happened is in some ways conveys a threat to you and your home. Just wondering can you keep a log of these threats and also try and get some videos of these threats taking place in the first instance, and I would seek approval from your council about putting up a camera they can only say no. they do vary in price but worth shopping around What I do know is if the noise is bad enough you can ask the council to install equipment in your home that will monitor these levels of noise and record accordingly these noises as it must be getting you down. Good luck and let know of any developments cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    You certainly shouldn't have to put up with that and whats happened is in some ways conveys a threat to you and your home. Just wondering can you keep a log of these threats and also try and get some videos of these threats taking place in the first instance, and I would seek approval from your council about putting up a camera they can only say no. they do vary in price but worth shopping around What I do know is if the noise is bad enough you can ask the council to install equipment in your home that will monitor these levels of noise and record accordingly these noises as it must be getting you down. Good luck and let know of any developments cheers
    I've been in touch with the council about it, but they seem to only do an app these days and ask you to take logs on your phone "The noise app". The problem is that my phone never picks anything up and even though I say in the notes that while there's no sound, it's because my phone can't pick it up, though I'm logging it for time/notes purposes, they just don't seem to listen. I just get responses saying "I've reviewed this log and cannot hear anything"
    I'll have to try and see about the equipment you mentioned and see if that's something they might do for me, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I've been in touch with the council about it, but they seem to only do an app these days and ask you to take logs on your phone "The noise app". The problem is that my phone never picks anything up and even though I say in the notes that while there's no sound, it's because my phone can't pick it up, though I'm logging it for time/notes purposes, they just don't seem to listen. I just get responses saying "I've reviewed this log and cannot hear anything"
    I'll have to try and see about the equipment you mentioned and see if that's something they might do for me, thanks
    You are more than welcome Not a good idea if you are trying to monitor any noise and the phone has to be virtually on top of the damn noise before it will pick the noise up not practical atall in many ways. It's only about 12 months ago and know some councils still use the tried and trusted method still. Think though it's all down to cut backs hence the App method. While I believe you totally about the noise is it that bad and affecting your sleep/life? Where I used to live in a not a high rise block of flats (3 stories) all the residents were plagued by a drug dealer for over 18 months that lived there and all the ppl calling to his flat they would if he didn't buzz them in would ring every bell in the block till they got entry, late night parties you name it the residents had many meetings with the council and eventually he was evicted. How well do you get on with some of the other residents around you, I take it they have problems too with the noise. Wish you well Sloth Cheers

You are more than welcome Not a good idea if you are trying to monitor any noise and the phone has to be virtually on top of the damn noise before it will pick the noise up not practical atall in many ways. It's only about 12 months ago and know some councils still use the tried and trusted method still. Think though it's all down to cut backs hence the App method. While I believe you totally about the noise is it that bad and affecting your sleep/life? Where I used to live in a not a high rise block of flats (3 stories) all the residents were plagued by a drug dealer for over 18 months that lived there and all the ppl calling to his flat they would if he didn't buzz them in would ring every bell in the block till they got entry, late night parties you name it the residents had many meetings with the council and eventually he was evicted. How well do you get on with some of the other residents around you, I take it they have problems too with the noise. Wish you well Sloth Cheers
    It effects me quite a lot, some times worse than others but it has certainly woken me up and stopped me from sleeping. Or generally relaxing, since watching the TV is being drown out by his music. But more than anything, it's the conflict it's caused and the banging on my door and glueing my lock that has caused the majority of the stress and anxiety. I live in a 4 block of flats and there's the communal area between the other 2 neighbours, so they wouldn't notice it as bad, though I have spoken to one about it and she says she'd be there as a witness if needed since she's had to knock on his door about the noise in the past aswell (so she must hear at least some of it through the communal area) but being right above him is a nightmare. The council really doesn't seem interested or it feels like they view us as just nagging about nothing and these days the police don't get involved with these matters, besides the door lock incident, which they said they couldn't do anything because there's no evidence anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    It effects me quite a lot, some times worse than others but it has certainly woken me up and stopped me from sleeping. Or generally relaxing, since watching the TV is being drown out by his music. But more than anything, it's the conflict it's caused and the banging on my door and glueing my lock that has caused the majority of the stress and anxiety. I live in a 4 block of flats and there's the communal area between the other 2 neighbours, so they wouldn't notice it as bad, though I have spoken to one about it and she says she'd be there as a witness if needed since she's had to knock on his door about the noise in the past aswell (so she must hear at least some of it through the communal area) but being right above him is a nightmare. The council really doesn't seem interested or it feels like they view us as just nagging about nothing and these days the police don't get involved with these matters, besides the door lock incident, which they said they couldn't do anything because there's no evidence anyway
    Hey I can see that it really is bothering you in a bad way so feel for you I mean how dare they glue your lock on your front door Who paid for it to be fixed?? Listen you now have back up this neighbour has heard it too even though she isn't in the direct firing line like you are. So do take her up on her offer of support and get a diary complied from each of you. and again ask for some specialst recording equipment set up in both flats if need be. and if you still get no joy off the council then you file a complaint this simple cant be allowed to carry on for your sanity. Cheers

Hey I can see that it really is bothering you in a bad way so feel for you I mean how dare they glue your lock on your front door Who paid for it to be fixed?? Listen you now have back up this neighbour has heard it too even though she isn't in the direct firing line like you are. So do take her up on her offer of support and get a diary complied from each of you. and again ask for some specialst recording equipment set up in both flats if need be. and if you still get no joy off the council then you file a complaint this simple cant be allowed to carry on for your sanity. Cheers
    Yeah I'll definitely chase them about noise equipment. I hope it works out, it's getting to my partner too, she just wants to move anywhere now. Thanks for your help.

RE Citizen's Advice, I used to volunteer at my local branch and they often got more inquiries than they could deal with. If you decide to go to them and they use a drop-in system (I think a lot of the branches do) it might be good to get there a few minutes before they open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information