Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benzo withdrawal (Rivotril, aka Klonopin)

Exclamation Benzo withdrawal (Rivotril, aka Klonopin)

Hey everyone,

I'm just concerned about how long a withdrawal over benzo's should take at minimum. I took Rivotril (Clonazepam, also known as Klonopin in other countries) for 10 years and 2-3 weeks ago, my psychiatrist said to jump cold-turkey from 2.0 mg's per day to zero... and then my psychologist prescribed me a 3 week withdrawal cuz she found that cold-turkey had no sense. But I'm still concerned if that was too fast, cuz I'm extremely nervous, panick episodes are worse and more frequent, and immense health anxiety and terrorization, sometimes shaking, I've been at "zero" since a couple of days and it's hell. Today I popped 0.5 mg's because it was too unbearable, and I got scared when reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodi...rawal_symptoms
    the second section, where it says: "An abrupt or over-rapid discontinuation of benzodiazepines may result in a more serious and very unpleasant withdrawal syndrome..." including coma and something which "may result to death"... so what would be a normal "safe" duration for benzo withdrawal ?
    Last edited by n3r0x1k; 16-06-08 at 06:05. Reason: added thread subscription

Re: Benzo withdrawal (Rivotril, aka Klonopin)

Hi there, im surprised they took you off it so suddenly after so long taking it. Even a relatively small dose should be reduced in stages...half then quarter etc. At least the doc has told you to reduce them gradually by the sound of it. I came off tranxene and ativan a long time ago now, but still remember the withdrawal and what you describe is typical withdrawal. I went on to be a volunteer with the charity Mind, helping ppl withdrawing from benzos. Its not easy and its not comfortable but you'll be ok, and you won't die ok? please dont get yourself into more anx about dying this way coz you wont.

Her if you want to talk ok?
    Cathy xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy V View Post
    Her if you want to talk ok?
    Cathy xxx
    I only quoted part of your text cuz I don't know if people get notifications otherwise, but I must say that your post reassures me a bit. On average, how long does the withdrawal symptoms last. Of course, I know you're not a doctor, and even if you give a rough estimate and even if it may vary amongst people, I just want to get an idea from a human being instead of some wikipedia entry. And yeh, I was surprised for the cold-turkey too, and kinda fought (verbally) with him, but his decision was made bla bla bla... and I was wondering what kind of withdrawal the people you see go through. Like me, I jumped from a steady 9-10 years daily usage, was at 2 mg's and jumped first 5 days at 1 mg, next 14 days at 0.5, then zero. What would you suggest? Of course, I would take that info in mind and just go see another doctor to prescribe me a longer withdrawal. I'm just scared that what I did was considered too fast and would be scared to have like Benzo withdrawal syndrome that can last for several years in 10-15% of patients (according to wikipedia), I just want something safe that I could say "okay, I'm not feeling great, but I only have weeks/months to stand this".

Thanks for everything.

Hi

Please stop thinking you are going to die, you're not. It sounds like withdrawal symptoms. I was on diazepam for nearly 18yrs, at the end I was taking 55mg every night, it took me over 2 1/2yrs to withdraw off it with the full support of a lovely physiciatrist, doctor and hubby. I was cut down by 1mg a week. Sometimes when the symptoms were too much to handle, I would be kept static for longer than a week before cutting down again.

It is normal to experience hightened anxiety, panic, nervousness, restlessness, insomnia, nausea, headaches, paranoia and doubt about coming of the meds. As was explained to me, your body needs time to adjust to working on it's own again without the drug and this takes time. If you are struggling contact your gp/phyciatrist and ask for their help. I know it's bad, but I would encourage you to keep going, you will feel so much better without the medication. I personally would never take diazepam again as it nearly ruined my life.

Good luck, we are all here to support and encourage you Keep us informed on how you are doing and contact me if you need to chat.

Diane

'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

Yep it exactly like dianne has said too. and even tho it sounds as if youve reduced the meds in the right way there will be anx even after them. Theres really no way of telling anyone how long it will take, even roughly but i know you know that anyway (when we feel like sh*t we want so,eone to say ok, at half üast 3 on the 10th of july you'll be freeeeeee hahaha! i wish this also!) The best thing you can do is keep in touch with us here and keep in touch with the docs and i beleive that you'll be feeling better in a shorter time than most whov been on them longer.

Keep talking to us if it helps ok? im ususally around until about midnight and then again from about 8....see that, im even sleeping better since joining nmp!

cathy xxx

I thought the recognised method of Benzo withdrawal was to cross over to an equivalent dose of a benzo with the longest half life IE; Diazepam.
    Then to make cuts of 10% each fortnight, it takes a long time but the withdrawal is easier tolerated.
    Re; Professor Ashton , copy of which is available here - http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

But I'm not sure it would be good or not to reinstate at the stage you're at.
    Maybe Cathy could advise further.
    Decca

Decca you're so right, but annoyingly not many Gps do it this way and its the best way and yes, it would take longer but ppl feel less anx etc and its much better this way. Why dont they all do it though? I can understand a little of the ignorance in the 70s and 80s with these drugs, but with all the info and evidence in the years since you would think theyd get it right!

Sometimes it makes me angry with some of the docs..not all i know there are some really good ones around, but many more others just dont seem to be bothered and its still a case of ppl with HA are much less tolerated...some things never change

cathy xx

In the 60's I was prescribed 30mg Phenobarbitone 3 times a day for severe Eczema,I was stuck on it for 20 years because none of my doctors told me to stop them when the Eczema got better, I had to wean myself off in much the same way.
    Nothing ever changes.
    Decca
    PS do you think it would help n3r0x1k to reinstate to her last cut while she's waiting to see her Doc. ?

Its a difficult one. Ive never interfered in docs preferences with other ppls meds before, only been there to catch them when they eventually fall, but crossover meds make so much sense so perhaps have a talk with the doc about this?

Cathy xxx

Thanks to you all again.
    Just a note, I'm a guy (Decca said "..help n3r0x1k to reinstate to her..") hehe, but doesn't really matter, was just pointing it out.
    Thanks Dianes for sharing your experience.

@Decca: Thanks alot for the reference to that manual. I'm reading it now and done reading alot, and things like: "You may need to resist attempts from outsiders (clinics, doctors) to persuade you into a rapid withdrawal. The classic six weeks withdrawal period adopted by many clinics and doctors is much too fast for many long-term users."

Well I've been put on a 3-week (at first 1 day withdrawal, hehe), so I guess I should go slower. You asked if I should reinstate it back to there... it's a great question, although I know it wasn't addressed to me, I know for a fact I'm WAY too nervous and anxious and everything since I'm at zero, so I'll ask my GP (not my psychiatrist) if he can taper me off starting at 1mg's, which is quite ok to me since I was at 2 mg's and 2 weeks ago still at 1 mg. From there, I'll go slowly as the manual suggests, but I won't take the diazepam switch as in their schedule for tapering off Clonazepam. I wanna do this cuz I know it ain't right and I know I'll just feel better off short and long-term.

@Cathy V: Thanks again for the "talk" offer, I actually consider it maybe for the near future if things get too hellish, but what did you mean exactly, PM's from this site?

Thanks again to you all (I know I'm repeatingmyself, but thanks).
    Last edited by n3r0x1k; 10-06-08 at 04:52.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information