Thread: Increased my dose... Did I make the right choice? Need reassurance :(

Increased my dose... Did I make the right choice? Need reassurance :(

Ive had HORRIBLE crippling anxiety + panic for 2 years but when I decided to take Lexapro at 5mg in August my life started getting better. At first, with the 5 mg, my anxiety increased substantially and I was much more moody and irrational (maybe bc I was scared of the medicines or maybe due to a side effect).

I was quickly bumped up to 10mg afterwards and felt MUCH better. I hadn't had a panic attack for maybe like 6 months? I deff still had mental/thought anxiety but it wasn't causing me as much physical trauma as it was before so I was fine. My doc suggested a bump up to 15mg but I said I waSn't ready yet, so he said 10mg was okay and that I could bump up when I was ready. A few months later, now, I am taking him up on his offer. The past two weeks I've been a bit more anxious and I've been experiencing some panic, so I called my psychiatrist and asked for the bump up. He said it was a good idea.

Its 3 days in on the medications and I'm feeling a little spike in anxiousness. I also have the urge to just cry..... Am I reacting to the increase? Did I make the right decision? I'm so scared that maybe I did the wrong thing and that 15 might be too much for me???

Re: Increased my dose... Did I make the right choice? Need reassurance :(

Quote Originally Posted by bluesunset View Post
    Its 3 days in on the medications and I'm feeling a little spike in anxiousness. I also have the urge to just cry..... Am I reacting to the increase?
    Yes, you are reacting to the spike in serotonin activity which occurs after a dose increase just as it often does at the beginning. The brain will soon adapt by decreasing serotonin synthesis and expression and the heightened anxiety will diminish.

I'm so scared that maybe I did the wrong thing and that 15 might be too much for me???
    It is a curious fact that the changes antidepressants create in the brain such as the reduction in serotonin levels don't occur in those that don't have an anxiety disorder (or depression) so taking more than necessary probably doesn't do much beyond maybe increase side-effects.

Thread Information