Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixing words up/saying them wrong/bad memory anyone?

Re: Mixing words up/saying them wrong/bad memory anyone?

Thanks, I have been bothered by this for 10 days, and although in more simplistic words I came to the same conclusion that you describe here, seeing that an MD wrote it made me feel much better!

Cheers again!

V

Re: Mixing words up/saying them wrong/bad memory anyone?

It's amazing how one little social faux pas can change your life... I was at a wedding recently (which always makes me a bit anxious because I'm not fond of churches, particularly Catholic ones). I grew up in a Catholic Church and found the guilt and judgmentalism to be too much for someone as sensitive as I was. No offense to any Catholics here I hope. Anyway. The aunt of the groom is a close friend of my husband, and I always felt at ease with her. Not anymore, because I wasn't thinking clearly, and got her brothers' names mixed up. I've known her family for about 25 years, and I knew exactly who her brothers were, but for whatever reason, I said "Oh I see Anthony is back from North Carolina" (instead of Joseph). I have no idea why I mixed them up. I knew who was who, and who lived where, and who was visiting, etc. etc. But it sounded like I was a total ditz. So she corrected me, and told me who was who and who lived where. I couldn't believe she didn't just think I mixed the names up. The fact that she corrected me made me feel so much worse, because that meant she thought I was an airhead. And that just sinks me... I can't think of anything worse to be... I'd much rather be a bitch that everyone hates than a ditzy airhead.

But that wasn't the end of it... I walked in too close to the start of the wedding, and was greeted with hugs n kisses that were stoic and formal... done in a hurry with the body language of "hurry and sit down, you're late." (But there was 5 mins to spare). When I attempted to 'redeem' myself by talking to the brother who I knew came in from out of town, he flat out ignored me and hurriedly walked away, as if to say, "Really? You're asking me that now, just before the wedding starts?" And all he had to answer was "good to see you, we'll talk later at the reception." So truly... why am I the one so worried about social skills??

Needless to say... I went to find the restroom when it was over, and did not go through the formal 'greeting line' which I absolutely abhor. And I did not attend the reception. I went home and cried. I told my husband to make up some reason why I wasn't there. I know I overreacted, but for some reason, all of that happening so fast was a 'trigger' that I just couldn't shake.

I think in the future, I will take 20 mg of propranolol, which I was given by a doctor for performance anxiety, when I used to play piano in public. For me, just being in formal social situations like that is putting on a performance, because I AM being judged for my performance of how I interact with others. I just want to be me, and not care what people think about me. I don't want to go to any weddings ever again, unless they're outside, in nature, with just a few close friends.

Smile Re: Mixing words up/saying them wrong/bad memory anyone?

I just seen this and just wanted to say how relieved I am to know that I'm not the only person that is or has went thru these issues. It's such a assuring feeling to know I'm not alone and that I'm not "crazy"!! Thank You

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information