Thread: Breathing probs - when it's not anxiety.

Breathing probs - when it's not anxiety.

I have had the "breathlessness" since a kid, but for quite a while now, I have this short of breathlessness after my dinner. I have posted about this before but I didn't have it at all for about 6 weeks then got it out of the blue tonight and have had it now for over 2 hours. I suppose I'm looking for someone to tell me some 'good news'
    I'm also very scared!! Anyone got any ideas?

Re: Breathing probs - when it's not anxiety.

Gerd can cause breathlessness which can happen after meals, what did you eat?I get a faster heart rate after a spicey or big meal and can feel like I'm not breathing properley which I'm not
    because as soon as you become conscious of your breathing It goes wonky

Hi Alexandria

Thank you for replying. I do get acid reflex so I had thought about gerd but couldn't understand when I went all those weeks without getting it. I suppose I have to put up with it I used to get the fast heart rate after eating, that stopped and along came the breathlessness. I could scream sometimes

Thanks again. xx

I was diagnosed with gerd a while ago, & i`m struggling with the short of breath feeling i too have noticed the link that i feel worse after i have eaten, so i`m not sure if this is anxiety or not, i`m afraid it`s a difficult circle once you are thinking about it you focus on it and it seems so much worse, really hope you feel better soon, take care x

I get the same.

I've pretty much discovered by myself that it happens more when I have reflux. It also comes and goes, I can breathe ok for weeks and then it'll happen out of the blue (like yesterday).

Another thing I've discovered is that when I do have it I tend to cough a lot, which lead me to suspect that it was mucus buildup causing the breathlessness. It's not actually breathlessness though, more that I can't take a full breath and the 'feeling' that I'm short of breath (when I'm really not).

I use a steam inhalator (bowl of water with boiled water in) with a towel over my head and inhale the steam. This seems to loosen up the mucus and I can usually breathe a bit better afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by missworry View Post
    I was diagnosed with gerd a while ago, & i`m struggling with the short of breath feeling i too have noticed the link that i feel worse after i have eaten, so i`m not sure if this is anxiety or not, i`m afraid it`s a difficult circle once you are thinking about it you focus on it and it seems so much worse, really hope you feel better soon, take care x
    Hi missworry

Thanks for replying. I actually feel very short of breath or breathless after eating and I'm so scared about it. I haven't been diagnosed with gerd more like I diagnosed myself, hate going to the docs. How long does the breathlessness last for you? I am so worried that it's my heart, wish I could stop worrying!!

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:27 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I get the same.

I've pretty much discovered by myself that it happens more when I have reflux. It also comes and goes, I can breathe ok for weeks and then it'll happen out of the blue (like yesterday).

Another thing I've discovered is that when I do have it I tend to cough a lot, which lead me to suspect that it was mucus buildup causing the breathlessness. It's not actually breathlessness though, more that I can't take a full breath and the 'feeling' that I'm short of breath (when I'm really not).

I use a steam inhalator (bowl of water with boiled water in) with a towel over my head and inhale the steam. This seems to loosen up the mucus and I can usually breathe a bit better afterwards.
    Hi joe

Thank you for replying. I cough after I have eaten too but not much. I have this sob for hours after Ive eaten but it only happens after my dinner regardless of what I eat. I'm convinced it's my heart but darent go to docs! Am so sick of all this crap regardless of whether its anxiety or physical, I need a break from it!!

Thread Information