Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jobcentre interview...arrrghhhhhh!!

Re: Jobcentre interview...arrrghhhhhh!!

I find your post a bit sanctimonious to be honest Geoff.

As I mentioned in my post, I have looked FAR outside of nursing - retail, admin, education - anything that I could translate my experience and skills to basically, but I am just not getting a foot in the door as I don't have experience in those fields and don't have comprehensive computer skills for admin. I looked outside the box on the suggestion of the DWP who at my 3 month review/interview then agreed that the likelihood of me getting retail work without sales experience was slim!!!!!!!! LUDICROUS.

I have been so flexible I am bending over backwards frankly, as I know how limited my opportunities are. Preferably, I want to use my diploma. I don't see that as a crime, I'm sorry. I earned the right to get a job that utilises that (and worked my arse off to achieve it) not one the DWP think I should get. The government also paid me a bursary for the entitity of my nurse training, so is that acceptable to them that that money should now be wasted?

I think not.

Yes, working does keep you sane. I feel much worse when I am not busy as I have too much time on my hands to dwell, and the anxiety and panic rises up. I think that most people agree with that, but do know that already actually, which is why they are seeking employment that maintains a balance of allowing them to work but also NOT allowing their anxiety - if at all posssible - to be provoked in any way by that work.
    Last edited by debs71; 26-07-11 at 10:51.

I think it's a disgusting way to treat people. They are hell bent on shuffling people through the system to drop the unemployment figures at all cost with no thought of their illnesses.
    I'm just so glad I don't need to go through what you had to Debs. It's unfair and shows how much the Tories care about the genuine people in need of help.

I can see it from both points of view and I kind of agree with both sides. They shouldnt be allowed to be mean to people but they do have to be harsh on everyone to try and weed out timewasters. It is afterall their job to get people back to work of some kind.

I think that Geoff was trying to say that doing any job meantime while you look for something else is a viable option, not just disregard your skills and do whatever they tell you to. But taking a job ur not trained for gives you wider experience and people are willing to look at a cv with a wide range of experience.

Im a trained archivist and paid over 5 thousand of my own money to qualify but due to lack of jobs in the field, before my current job i worked in a bingo hall as a hairdressing junior, a sales rep an administrator and a take away counter assistant. I dont think doing any of those jobs wated my degree my money or my potential and several employers were actually mroe interested in my previous jobs and the transferable skills i learnt while doing them.

No one is saying that you should take a job you dont feel your illness allows you to do but there are more options available than that. Job hunting is hard at the best of times never mind just now when so many people have to do it with no result.

I understand what you mean Munkey.

My preference is to use my experience. I am open to other work, but so far, it just isn't open to me. I would love experience in other fields, but when it is totally new, the bottom line is opportunities are offered to people already with experience in it I imagine.

You can only gain experience if that one employer is willing and able to give you a chance.

That's terrible that you were treated like that. Like people have said, there are so many people who just can't be bothered that are making a fortune off benefits, and it makes it so much harder for those who genuinely need and deserve them. I can totally understand what you mean about having been to uni and not wanting to waste that. I went to uni and did a teaching qualification, which I am lucky enough to be using. However, I wouldn't want to have to settle for another job that I didn't want to do (without having known I've exhausted all other job options first) - not that there's anything wrong with other jobs, but I've worked hard to get my qualification.

The fact that you are seeking work despite your anxiety is a huge step and you should be proud of that. It's a shame the laws and systems in this country seem to be weighted against those that actually bother.

Thanks so much Lizzie for your kind post and support.

I don't want to come across as wallowing in self pity and asking people for sympathy, I really don't mean to at all. All I was trying to vent about was that it is hard to express to the DWP that seeking work is often not cut and dried for those who have mental health problems, and to some extent, some things are limited by having to consider not 'flaring things up' again.

xxxxx

Yes I definatly know what you mean there.

I dont really understand how employers can claim they want experience but arent willing to train anyone up? How are we supposed to learn if no one ever gives us a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    I find your post a bit sanctimonious to be honest Geoff.

As I mentioned in my post, I have looked FAR outside of nursing - retail, admin, education - anything that I could translate my experience and skills to basically, but I am just not getting a foot in the door as I don't have experience in those fields and don't have comprehensive computer skills for admin. I looked outside the box on the suggestion of the DWP who at my 3 month review/interview then agreed that the likelihood of me getting retail work without sales experience was slim!!!!!!!! LUDICROUS.

I have been so flexible I am bending over backwards frankly, as I know how limited my opportunities are. Preferably, I want to use my diploma. I don't see that as a crime, I'm sorry. I earned the right to get a job that utilises that (and worked my arse off to achieve it) not one the DWP think I should get. The government also paid me a bursary for the entitity of my nurse training, so is that acceptable to them that that money should now be wasted?

I think not.

Yes, working does keep you sane. I feel much worse when I am not busy as I have too much time on my hands to dwell, and the anxiety and panic rises up. I think that most people agree with that, but do know that already actually, which is why they are seeking employment that maintains a balance of allowing them to work but also NOT allowing their anxiety - if at all posssible - to be provoked in any way by that work.
    Sorry.... didn't mean to appear sanctimonious............. I just get fed up with all the scroungers claiming benefits and refusing to do work that they consider beneath them or they just don't fancy the work ......... this does not include yourself I promise!! If people can't get the job they want or are trained for, surely they can do something else in the meantime as a stop-gap until a more ideal job comes along.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

The problem is Debs that if you're claiming JSA then they won't take mental health issues into consideration because you're saying you're fit to work. They have a one-size-fits-all attitude which I disagree with. If you're on ESA due to mental or physical illness then you're deemed unfit to work. If that person recovers and is moved to JSA they are treated in the same way as everybody else.

There are armies of graduates now taking jobs in sales, plumbing, catering etc which require no formal higher education. On this point, as long as YOU make this choice there is no problem. Being told you MUST do it goes against my principles of a free society which we're rapidly moving away from. However, doing such work in the short-term can broaden your skills and add to your confidence. Long-term I think job security has been severely eroded and I don't think "jobs for life" exist any more.

Coming to attitudes, I think many DWP staff are clones - robots following set procedures and commands - and from this perspective I really sympathise with people going through all this.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Just seen this & wanted to send my support to you Debs. I only signed on once when I was a student and got a cheque for 8p - it cost more to post the blummin thing! I then got 2 jobs to pay my way and have never asked for help since. You have a strong work ethic and deserve to find something that suits your talent and training. Don't let this set you back too much if you can, the right role is out there for you.

x

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information