Thread: My 13 tips to a happier life

My 13 tips to a happier life

I have been meaning to write and post this for a while and this afternoon finally got round to it......

My 13 Tips to help make your life happier!

Find your strengths

Everyone has strengths, you may not feel it when you are wracked with anxiety and panic but everyone is good at something, you may be really caring to others or be able do things that a lot of people can’t like knitting or making things……. Make a list of the things that you are good at. When you are feeling down and think that you are no good to anyone, take a look at the list to remind yourself that you are good at all of these things.

Treat yourself.....

Make sure you do things to make yourself happy, this could be anything from heading out to the pub with your friends and going out to the cinema doing social things to treating yourself to your favourite meal from the supermarket and having a night in and treating yourself to a hot bath and relax

Get outside....

We know this can be hard with anxiety, especially with agoraphobia but if possible head outside, have a potter in the garden, go for a quick walk the fresh air does wonders for your physical health and your mental health.

Take a digital break....

Doesn’t have to mean stop using all technology completely, but maybe try to put it away for the evening, sit and do something else. Stop comparing yourself to others on social media, everyone is different, just because someone on Facebook is out each night drinking and having ‘fun’ doesn’t mean that you have to be.

Try to live in the present

There is no point dwelling on the past, what is gone is gone… you can’t change it now so it isn’t worth worrying about.No one can tell you what is going to happen in the future and you can’t second guess what will happen in your life. We spend so much time dwelling on the past and trying to look into our future that we end up missing out on what is happening in the present. Take time to live in the here and now

Do something you are afraid of...

take a few risks in life and I don’t mean illegal and dangerous ones. Do some things that you are afraid of….. When you have done it, feel proud of yourself for doing something that made you a bit scared.

Learn to say no

This one if you ask people they would say that is one of the things I am bad at….. You don’t have to do everything for everybody 24/7 you will wear yourself out and feel overwhelmed, so learn to say no to people occasionally, they won’t mind, I promise!!

Learn to be selfish

Before you can make others happy, you need to make yourself happy…… look after yourself BEFORE you look after others!

Learn to relax

doesn’t matter how you decide to do it, spend some time a day, doesn’t have to be long maybe just half an hour or so. Relaxing is essential to happiness so take some time out to sit and unwind.

Set yourself goals.

Everyone needs goals in their lives, things to work towards. Make a list of things you would like to achieve in your live and maybe if you really struggle with your anxiety make a daily list of things you would like to achieve that day…. It could be as simple as “getting dressed” or “make dinner for my children” and cross them off when you have achieved them….. There is nothing like watching that list of goals shrink and seeing the things you have achieved!

Look after your relationships

Take time to look after the relationships you have with people, when life gets hectic then sometimes we don’t have time to work on our relationships and they put back on the back burner. Go out for a date night with your partner, take the kids out for some fun time or just go visit a friend to say hello!

Make sure you eat!

Another thing that I struggled with was making sure you have the right fuel in your body, it sounds a cliché but you can’t be happy unless your body is happy. Make sure you eat healthily and regularly however your appetite feels…… you need food to make your body function so make sure you eating!

Make time for yourself

One of THE most important things is to take some time out, make sometime for yourself, do what you want to do, things that make you happy, it will inspire a positive attitude in yourself when you are doing something just to make yourself happy!!

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: My 13 tips to a happier life

I would certainly agree with those.

Nice post, thanks!

Great post. I especially agree with setting goals.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Bump

Nice post, thanks!

Thread Information