Thread: CBT for Hypochondria

CBT for Hypochondria

Hello all,

Grace, 31, Female, Not overweight, Exercises 5 days a week, no known health conditions, normal recent complete blood work.

I am currently in CBT, Biofeedback Therapy. Has anyone had success with CBT without medication????? Please and Thank you!!!!

I am brand new here. My story goes like this:

Gave birth to my daughter in 2014... it all began! It started with postpartum anxiety which developed into SEVERE hypochondria. from January 2015- June 2015 (When I got help) I saw 24 different doctors, 8 E.R. visits, Cat Scans, X-Rays, MRI, TONS of blood work... You name it I did it.

Once I got help it all started to calm down. I was put on Zoloft and coupled that with talk therapy. I'd say within 6-8 weeks I started to come back to normal. I was good. I weened off the Zoloft by February 2017. I had some anxiety after but nothing that was too intense.

October 2017 my father passed away suddenly. Anxiety started to creep up on me again. He died from heart failure. By December I visited the doctor for chest pain. January 2018- Im stuck on Pancreatic Cancer.

An abdominal ultrasound showed minimal enlargement of my liver. The doctor was not at all concerned by this and assured me that an ultrasound is not accurate for liver measurements because it can not view the whole liver in one image so measurements are taken in sections. OF COURSE I panicking over this.

Anxiety/Hypochondria- Returned
    Current Treatments:
    CBT- Current
    Biofeedback- Current
    Daily Meditation- Current
    Exercise- 30 min 5 days a week
    CBD Oil- CW Hemp
    Pod Cast Listing To- The Anxiety Guy

Re: CBT for Hypochondria

Hi Grace

I also had a daughter in 2014, and my father died (of lung problems) in Sept 2016.

I’m having an abdominal ultrasound next month for reflux/heartburn.

My very healthy friend just lost her father, and within weeks had pneumonia (same as what he died of).

You have been through 2 huge life changes. Your world has been rocked, and your anxiety is responding for you.

I can’t help re medicine v cbt as I haven’t taken medicine. But I wanted to say hi, and let you know you’re not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: CBT for Hypochondria

I can't thank you enough for responding!!! It is nice to know someone else knows exactly how i feel.. especially someone with such a similar experience. I have a husband and 2 younger sisters who can handle traumatic life events much better than I can. So it's a very isolating feeling to be the only one.

Health Anxiety is such a weird thing.. I read you're worried about your upcoming ultrasound and I am confident in saying you will be JUST FINE!! If only I could be so confident with myself!!!

Anxiety/Hypochondria- Returned
    Current Treatments:
    CBT- Current
    Biofeedback- Current
    Daily Meditation- Current
    Exercise- 30 min 5 days a week
    CBD Oil- CW Hemp
    Pod Cast Listing To- The Anxiety Guy

CBT for Hypochondria

Yes isn’t it funny how I read your post and thought that you will be absolutely fine. It’s “just” your anxiety talking. I hate that we can use rationale with others but not ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information