Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something to be grateful for: mental health is less taboo than it used to be

Re: Something to be grateful for: mental health is less taboo than it used to be

There's a difference between mental healthcare services and the public's understanding of mental health. We need both.

The public's understanding of mental health is progressing. Services will get better and worse with changes in government, in line with funding.

I reckon that the public changing its collective perception about things takes a really long time and it doesn't swing as fast as healthcare provision does. I'm confident that the trend is going to continue - over the coming decades, mental health will be increasingly understood.

It's possible that in a few years, things will change again with mental health services. To influence that, we can vote and we can also keep talking about mental health to help our friends and colleagues get with the programme.

Re: Something to be grateful for: mental health is less taboo than it used to be

I think awareness is changing largely due to the charities rather than public bodies. There are so many smaller charities starting up & branching out, networks coming together, ex sufferers training up to treat others, use of YouTube to give personal stories, etc that things have moved on quite quickly due to pushing it through technology.

Social media has influenced a lot of things in the last 10 years and with it being so popular to newer generations they will be exposed much earlier so that they are more accepting as they see it around them more.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by lior View Post
    There's a difference between mental healthcare services and the public's understanding of mental health. We need both.

Two sides of the same coin. Without treatment and proper professional care the awareness and understanding rings hollow.

Let's hope for change.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information