Thread: Anger

Anger

ALL the anger! I don't know what to do with it. I'm running a lot which helps but only for a very short time. I feel like I hate everyone and I want to disappear and that everything I do isn't right.
    Does anyone have any anger advice?
    I went for my assessment for EMDR last week and going tomorrow for it. I've had it before so I know how hard it is, I keep thinking is it easier to run away or disappear than face up to things?

Re: Anger

I have come to learn that it may not be possible to contain such anger for a long period of time.
    A series of things happened to me when I was 16 (I'm 26 now) that I cannot get over. I do not forgive anybody for what they have done to me. Anyway, so I resolved to just continue my life as if nothing happened. Doing this has put me in the position I am now: on the verge of a blackout and feeling as if the command centre in my brain is shutting down. It's like a tunnel: anger>anhedonia>depersonalization>breakdown.
    I wish there was something I could say to help, but I firmly believe in not deluding oneself into thinking everything is ok, but facing the reality for what it is.
    If your anger is not as severe as mine, I would suggest fantasy as your defense mechanism of choice. I developed a schizoid solace in reading about a particular subject and aiming to be as knowledgeable about that subject as much as I could. I no longer feel anger anymore but that's because I feel nothing whatsoever. Total automaton.

Thank you for replying. I know my anger is also directed at something that happened in the past. I tried to ignore it and it's been nearly 10 years now. I'm dreading therapy tomorrow, I'm so sick of being upset and angry, I just want to go back to feeling nothing.
    I understand what you mean about absorbing yourself in something, I've been planning travelling and booking lots of outdoorsy events as I find the adrenaline is a good outlet.
    It's the day to day life that is the struggle, I completely overreact and get strong feelings of complete hate for everything.

I don't have a good answer but I'd like to know.
    Screaming, dancing to metal music, cutting up turnips with a huge knife... those things have helped me get out anger in the short term.

I'm with you on metal music, I listen to it in the car after a bad day, definitely helps! I'll try the turnips! hahaha

Big potatoes would probably work too
    It's all about the knife though. Big cleaver knife - very satisfying

Sometimes I wish I had a log fire so I could chop wood in my garden with a big axe! That would surely help.
    My anger has gone and the past couple of days have been empty and sad. Sick of myself!

It's a small thing but make sure you are getting enough water

Thread Information