Thread: Exhausted and emotionally drained

Unhappy Exhausted and emotionally drained

I've been in a bit of an anxiety rut for the last 6 months and have had on and off anxiety for 10 years going months with nothing but I've never felt how I do now.

I won't bore you with all the details but basically my job is incredibly stressful, not enough staff and being a manager I'm covering the overflow work plus I'm expected to keep all of my projects going and do everything to a perfectionist standard. My bosses version of support equals rewording what I need to get done with some bullshit corporate buzzwords added. I'm a bit of a type A personality so I guess I have high functioning anxiety as no one at my work would ever say I'm anxious normally I get everything done and I'm a bit of perfectionist.

So the last 6 months have been getting worse and worse, more work, more pressure, I'm starting to make mistakes which have led to difficult conversations at work but no help has been provided to reduce my work load. I've had about 5 panic attacks in the last 2 weeks and I feel sick everyday going to work, I feel like crying when I'm there and I'm getting irritable with my co workers.

I want to find a new job but I am so exhausted all the time at the moment I come home sit on the sofa and then go to bed. My sense of humour is gone, and I float between being numb and feeling really sad.

I need to make changes to my current situation but the thought of updating my cv and applying for jobs is just too much with how I currently feel.

I don't want to take medication but I'm so sick of feeling like this everyday is like climbing a mountain :(

Re: Exhausted and emotionally drained

I hate to tell you that this is normal, but this is normal LOL. Depression and exhaustion are the flip side to anxiety. After you've been anxious for so long, your body has basically been on overload and it just can't keep up anymore. This is your body's way of telling you that something has to change.

Why don't you want to take medication? Would you tell someone who's diabetic not to take insulin or someone who's asthmatic not to use their inhaler? If you need the meds to have quality of life, then take the meds.

It sounds like your job is horrible, but it is also very challenging to gather the energy to start over somewhere else. Maybe working on your resume a little bit each day won't be so overwhelming. A job is not worth your health and that seems to the direction you're headed in.

First thought is to break your habit cycle - when you get home have a glass of cold water and go for a short walk even if it's raining Think of your job like the wedding singer says "why would you want to dance with someone who doesn't want to dance with you?" And update your cv one job at a time then get it checked (I'll do it if you want I interview lots of people and see c v s all the time). I know it's hard but job interviews are like a muscle the more you use them the better you get. Have faith in yourself - the problem isn't your boss and it isn't you it's just you are in the wrong box of puzzle pieces

Thread Information