Thread: Blood pressure

Blood pressure

Hiya,
    Just a quicky for some reassurance, really worried tomorrow as i have to have an ecg and my blodd pressure taken. Could any of you give me a rough idea of how high your blood pressure as been whilst you are at docs ???????? I just know mine will be really high and worried im the only one. Thanks for your help

Re: Blood pressure

Hi sarah, well my bp was 170 over 90 last week at the docs, and it has been as high as 180 over 110 when the doc takes it. I also have a home monitor and it usually hovvers around 140 to 150 over 88 to 90 and thats normal for me these days (age, menopause and family history of high bp) I had an exercise ecg in june and my bp was normal before the exercise which surprised me coz i was so nervous about it. They test was mostly to look at the ectopics heartbeats i get though and not particularly to look at my bp.

Cathy xxx

Hi Sarah

Mine was very high at times when it was uncontrolled and I was very stressed and anxious re the panic attacks. Some days it would be 155/105 in doc's surgery and the bottom number was the worry.

I have had readings of 180/90 also only to be followed a minute later by 150/88 as if you are very worked up while taking it the readings will be volatile. Now on small BP med for past few weeks and doing well with panic attacks - last visit was 134/91 which is ok but would still like to get to somewhere c 130/85.

Ask the doc to take a few readings as the first one is always a bit high due to tension - do some deep breathing before the visit and try to visualise the actual process of taking the BP in advance (a tip from CBT). The sight of the monitor itself was enough to make mine jump!!!

Also, don't worry too much if you are anxious and the number is high - remember high BP is only when it is high at rest and you feel relaxed.

Good luck!

Thank you Cathy and Newby,
    Im trying to stay calm to keep my blood pressure down, not doing to well though

Sarah just remember that the nurses and docs who do this every day, and they all know that people's bp and heartrate can be high when being examined, and they take this into account. Having high bp or a fast beating heart during an ecg is probably normal for them and it doesnt mean that theyll think theres anything wrong...they'll know the difference. Try not to worry...deep breaths xxx

Ta Cathy
    I just have this vision of my blood pressure being so high that they call an ambulance there and then, stupid irrational thought i know, but cant get rid of it ;-(

Hi folks,
    just bringing this back up to top, ;-( just need a little more reassurance and dont want to be missed, thanks again Cathy and Newbie, you have helped a lot ;-)
    Sorry to be pushy with this, its just my appointments at 8.30 in the morning.
    Thankyou x x x

Back to the top ;-) Cheeky i know !!!

Hi Sarah

When i was at the docs having my BP taken last week, i explained i was nervous and asked if i could take my mind off things by reading a magazine i had taken with me. Usually my BP is high when i have it taken at the docs but it was alot lower with me reading the magazine.

Good luck

Andrea
    xxxxx

Thread Information