Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible suffocating feeling

Horrible suffocating feeling

Hi I'm Annie and I'm 41.I'm having the scariest time of my life at the moment.Although I have had anxiety on and off for 13 years I thought symptoms could get no worse,but 18 months ago I had the strangest feeling that one lung wasn't working properly,during the last 3 or 4 weeks the feeling is with me all day, because it's affecting every breath I take I can't seem to get rid of it.I went to hospital last week for an x ray, blood tests and a trace was put on my heart but all came back fine.Now I think maybe it's my throat and just felt like my lung and the hospital may have missed something.I am having a bad time at the moment,marriage in trouble, and my baby nephew died a year ago and my sister is due to give birth again any day now.I like to try alternative things to help me, but a couple of friends think I should be on an anti anxiety drug.This goes against all my "Hippy ways"But the terror I feel at this feeling of suffocation may force me to take a tablet.Has anyone words of comfort to offer me?I eat healthily(although I've felt a bit sicky of late cos of the fear and maybe don't eat enough)I gave up smoking 2 years ago and I try to get out for a ride on my pushbike even if it's just for 5 minutes most days.But with this almost constant fear of suffocating I feel things spiraling out of control.I fear there is no help for me I've been to the docs more times in last 4 weekd than ever before,I think they're getting bored with me!

a cheetham

Hi Annie

Breathing is often very near the top of anxiety worries ..

Do you know why you thought the lung wasn't working ??Trigger ?

Did you see the Xray - would that help to see it inflated ?

Can you now feel it expanding as you breath . Lying on each side helps or on your back with fingers just touching over abdomen and feel/see them part as you breathe in .

You are having stressful time so its normal and appropriate to feel more anxious than usual .

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Annie, first of all welcome to the site, if you have a look around and at previous posts you will find you are not alone.
    i am not surprised you dont feel so good with things going on in your life.
    i sometimes feel as if my lungs are not inflating fully and a useful piece of advise given to me was to take a deep slow breath and sigh it out loud, was good for me, I also have throat issues.
    How about rescue remedy have you tried that if you dont want to take medication.
    Anyway you will soon get lots of useful answers, take care, there is also a chat room where people go after 7.30 it is handy for discussing things, love Alexis,x

Hi Annie

Welcome to the site. I know a lot of people on here have issues very similar to yours. I hope they can help put your mind at ease

MANDIE XX

Hi Annie,

Welcome to the site, have a look round the site, Im sure you will find some help here and also PM people if you want a chat

Take care

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Hello Annie,

Welcome to the site. I hope you find all the answers that you are looking for and I hope you get better soon

Rob

Thankyou just for all being there at the moment,this anxiety is a scary place to be, it's good to know there are others who know how I feel.
    Thanks Annie

a cheetham

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Annie

Breathing is often very near the top of anxiety worries ..

Do you know why you thought the lung wasn't working ??Trigger ?

Did you see the Xray - would that help to see it inflated ?

Can you now feel it expanding as you breath . Lying on each side helps or on your back with fingers just touching over abdomen and feel/see them part as you breathe in .
    Not sure if I'm replying to this properly,this is all a bit high tech and grown up for me!
    Not sure why my lung is bad ,there was no trigger,that's why it is so hard
    to understand it.I didn't see the x ray, maybe I should have.

You are having stressful time so its normal and appropriate to feel more anxious than usual .

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 01 August 2005 : 21:56:37</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    a cheetham

Anxiety is a very suffocating and restricting condition, so it is no accident that your body has chosen to identify your anxiety to you in this way.

Some people with a lot of emotional issues (heartache) will have their anxiety demonstrated by symptons of the heart.

We are complex arent we, but the feelings you talk of are a common sympton with anxiety and depression and so Im sure you can be safe in the knowledge that this will pass and is not a major medical problem.

Its almost like a feeling of claustraphobia in your own body isnt it!!!!!

lots of us will know how you feel, this site is great for confirming you are not on your own!!!!

pm me if you want to at anytime xx

Welcome aboard to you Annie!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information