Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving

Driving

Hi everyone,

I have decided that I would like to start driving again...i passed my test with flying colours 3 years ago but then went off to Uni where all this started.

I really want to get a car as i think it'll motivte me with the depression a bit more too.

However i'm starting to get quite concerned about it to be honest. I worry about being severely anxious when driving, about my concentration and sometimes my grasp on reality a bit with Derealisation that i experience.

What do people think? Does anyone drive that suffers from GAD and depression?

I just worry that something will happen sometimes or that I won't be able to cope.

Thanks,
    Sarah [?]

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

I myself find that driving takes my normal stress away to a degree because you have to watch what you are doing and look to see what others are doing and so it is a distraction i guess from myself and thus keeps me alert rather than scared of traffic.
    Staying local will help you build confidence until you have real experience and don't drive into London unless you are very very brave [:O] and always be with someone if you really need support as this can give you reassurance if you panic as they can take over if your mind goes numb.....but good luck with it anyway

Hi there
    I think if it is what you want to do, then you should do it. But before hand, perhaps you could practice in empty car parks where you are not risking yourself or others and take someone along with you. Driving does really help me, i listen to some music and let it take me. You have to trust yourself to make the right decisions behind the wheel. Thats the most important thing.

Hi Sarah, I have severe anxiety disorder and depression and I drive, there was a spell where I knew I wasnt fit to drive so Im sure if you hit this point you will realise, I too have calming music on to keep myself alert,

love from Alexisxxxx

Hi sarah,

I have health anxiety and only just passed my test in june this year. I suffered panic attacks the week before my test and was so anxious after i passed I wondered why i bothered. For the first month i couldnt get in the car for fear of PA but forced myself just to go local like popping to asda for sweets for kids etc then building it up from there. Must say im so confident now im so glad i persivered. Good luck im sure you'll be great and safe driving.

catherine

Hi Sarah,
    Go for it!!! You will be fine, there's so much too consentrate on you will forget the anxiety. I drove all through my anxiety/PA's and only gave the car up because of the expense tax/insurance/parking in London (and hubby's a cab driver!) I wish i still had a car though, it would distract me and give me a little independence!!! xxxxxx

Thanks for all those replies!

I'll keep you posted!

I guess it's just a matter of starting off slowly etc..and doing it on *good* days.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

Maybe go and have a couple of lessons again to build your confidence

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

I don't think I could do what they wanted me to though Meg.

Like if they wanted me to go on the motorway i don't think i could.

Sigh I am actually getting quite worried about this now and hope i'm not wasting my money with it all.

You can do it. You've done it before and been ok so you can do it again.

I stopped driving for a little while when I was very acute but as soon as that phase passed I got back into it. I used to drive everywhere with the Claire Weekes tape on (that was before I got Meg's CD's!).

Like all this stuff, it's about building your confidence again. Go at your own pace and once comfortable step it up a bit and tackle your next hurdle (be it Motorways or whatever).

When I was bad I couldn't go above about 50mph without freaking out. At this point I should let you know that I used to do motorcycle trackdays where I would be hitting 160mph and loving it!!

So go for it. You can do it and you will feel great in 6 months or a year or however long it takes when you can drive anywhere.

Good luck ,
    Trev

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information