Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My story - How i beat my many Anxiety Disorders

Re: My story - How i beat my many Anxiety Disorders

Hello all,

Just an update on my story as further encouragement, Anxiety took everything away from me not everything i mentioned in my story, I lost my home, my job, my friends and dwindled further into debt and depression at the height of it all.

As from tommorow i am going back to work. finaly going to get back my financial freedom and save so i can find a new home and start again. Now im not going to lie. I have been feeling quite anxious about returning to work, the traveling the train ride because even thou i consider myself recovered. This is the first time that i have HAVE To be somewhere for 8 hours.. somewhere 2 hours from were i live with no escape. Althou i do not avoid situations or think about anxiety when shopping and walking to the park, but an escape and safety was possible althou i did not choose to to take it. New people, New job, New stress is now my last and final test to prove to the world that it is possible. I will keep posting updates on my story as i return not only anxiety free but as i rebuild everything. Home, Money, Freinds, Social Life, Holidays and ofcourse happiness and final closure that this nightmare has truly ended

Kind Regardsm

Well done and best wishes in your new job. It shows us that there is hope and recovery. Feeling a bit nervous at starting a new job is a perfectly normal reaction and is felt by 99.9% of people so that's a good sign. Just take one day at a time.

"In the end we only regret chances we didnt take, relationships we were scared to have, and decisions we waited to long to make. There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who doesn't, who never did, and who always will". - Anon

Truly inspirational well done! I am currently coming off meds, keep reminding myself 'Its just a bunch of thoughts' time to get the real me back and this was a real help x

Hi, I have just read your story with great interest as I am currently in the grip of a terrible panic and anxiety bout. My main symptom is chronic, severe nausea every day, although it usually fades by the evening, however it is causing my panic.

I have a phobia of throwing up which means I find nausea very difficult to deal with and anti-sickness tablets don't work, I was just wondering how long it took for your nausea to fade and what helped you most?

I am on anti-depressants which are not helping, I'm scared to change meds so I'm thinking about coming off them altogether. Your story was very inspirational to me as I am trying hard to overcome the anxiety and panic, but feeling so ill all the time makes it hard. It is reassuring to know it can be done.

Hello,

Rocklover, I had chronic nausea but for some reason the nausea althou unpleasant was never a big worry for me, for some reason It was the dizziness I obsessed most about. It Is interesting how some people find some symptoms bearable and some symptoms they simply can't cope. For me it was the dizziness, you nausea, others heart worries. Like all my symptoms the nausea faded slowly as i made improvement, I did try to eat as normally as possible and I started to drink the morning type yogurt drinks like actimel and yakult, also milk is good. You understand why you have nausea right ? It's because during anxiety panic and survival mode food digestion is not an important function and is halted by the brain to save energy and blood in the fight or flight response. Your stomach is constantly being switched on and off during the day as it suppose to do. Also I find knowing why and how you are feeling these symptoms automatically makes them less scary

Hello sorry I read your post a bit too fast and missed the part you mentioned that you have a phobis of vomiting etamaphobia I'm sure is the medical name or something similar. Phobias are very strang. I had agoraphobia which by definition means I was fearful of public places and the outside. The weirdest thing of all is I simply wasn't afraid of them situations. Doing the shopping, being in a bar or restaurant I never ever feared that. I simply feared the feeling anxiety and panic when I was in that situation and I made a very simple choice. When I was in them situations I felt awful, so I avoided it. It's not stupid crazy or weird why would I want to do something that made me feel bad, why would I eat broccoli if I don't like it?. But need to search deeper unto your fears. Have you ever witnessed or experienced a serious or fatal illness that enticed vomiting, or is it simply that you fear not being in control as vomiting is a bodily function we often can't control due to illness or drinking too much. It may make you anxious but phobias people can hardly ever make sense as to why, another anxiety sufferer had an extreme fear of wetting himself in public. He had nightmares panic attacks and agoraphobia because of it. Now we even laughed together and made fun of he's phobia and he himself consciously knew it was crazy but it did not stop the anxiety and fear. Even thou he never in he's life ever mess himself in public. It was all due to he was too proud and conscious of what people thought of him. He did not like to be embarrassed, He was terrified at the prospect of failure and people looking down on him. After bringing this to he's councillors attention and the bringing up moments in he's life frOm school of bullying and embarrassment. This was simply the answer. Fear of rejection not peeing himself in public. He tackled that and now laughs and doesn't care about this silly phobia.

Quote Originally Posted by qrydem1987 View Post
    Hello sorry I read your post a bit too fast and missed the part you mentioned that you have a phobis of vomiting etamaphobia I'm sure is the medical name or something similar. Phobias are very strang. I had agoraphobia which by definition means I was fearful of public places and the outside. The weirdest thing of all is I simply wasn't afraid of them situations. Doing the shopping, being in a bar or restaurant I never ever feared that. I simply feared the feeling anxiety and panic when I was in that situation and I made a very simple choice. When I was in them situations I felt awful, so I avoided it. It's not stupid crazy or weird why would I want to do something that made me feel bad, why would I eat broccoli if I don't like it?. But need to search deeper unto your fears. Have you ever witnessed or experienced a serious or fatal illness that enticed vomiting, or is it simply that you fear not being in control as vomiting is a bodily function we often can't control due to illness or drinking too much. It may make you anxious but phobias people can hardly ever make sense as to why, another anxiety sufferer had an extreme fear of wetting himself in public. He had nightmares panic attacks and agoraphobia because of it. Now we even laughed together and made fun of he's phobia and he himself consciously knew it was crazy but it did not stop the anxiety and fear. Even thou he never in he's life ever mess himself in public. It was all due to he was too proud and conscious of what people thought of him. He did not like to be embarrassed, He was terrified at the prospect of failure and people looking down on him. After bringing this to he's councillors attention and the bringing up moments in he's life frOm school of bullying and embarrassment. This was simply the answer. Fear of rejection not peeing himself in public. He tackled that and now laughs and doesn't care about this silly phobia.
    Thanks for your reply. I still don't know what it is about throwing up that I'm scared of, I can't work it out at all. Feeling sick all the time is driving me crazy and withdrawing from medication isn't helpng with that.

I am supposed to try a different medication, but actually I am beginning to think medication is just not worth the horrible side effects. If I remember correctly, you recovered without medication, is that right? How did you decide to do that and how tough was it mentally?

I did not take medication but when I was at my worst I did come close, I actually arranged an appointment with my doctor to discuss it. It was a 2 week wait and in them 2 weeks was my 24th birthday when everything started to change.

I would never agree or disagree with medication, it's purely between you and your doctor, how can I say would medication achieved the same results and faster, who knows. Medication does work to take the edge off and in some cases is the "miracle cure", and for some it has no effect or causes side effects which are just as hard to live with as anxiety.

Was it mentally tough, Yes. A persons worth is not how they deal with success and happiness but how they deal with failure and fear. These are the cards you have been dealt. You are standing at the bottom of mountain unsure whether you are able to climb it or at least take the first step. You only need to be motivated to take the first step. Once you start seeing improvement and reward for your efforts that is the motivation and effort that will start to flow naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by qrydem1987 View Post
    I did not take medication but when I was at my worst I did come close, I actually arranged an appointment with my doctor to discuss it. It was a 2 week wait and in them 2 weeks was my 24th birthday when everything started to change.

I would never agree or disagree with medication, it's purely between you and your doctor, how can I say would medication achieved the same results and faster, who knows. Medication does work to take the edge off and in some cases is the "miracle cure", and for some it has no effect or causes side effects which are just as hard to live with as anxiety.

Was it mentally tough, Yes. A persons worth is not how they deal with success and happiness but how they deal with failure and fear. These are the cards you have been dealt. You are standing at the bottom of mountain unsure whether you are able to climb it or at least take the first step. You only need to be motivated to take the first step. Once you start seeing improvement and reward for your efforts that is the motivation and effort that will start to flow naturally.
    That is exactly how I feel, like I am at the bottom of a huge mountain and I'm still unsure of which route to take to get to the top. At the moment I am swaying towards the non medication route despite my panic being almost crippling at the moment. Sometimes I don't know how I am going to make it through the next hour, let alone a whole day, but I always seem to make it through somehow.

Today has been dreadful for several reasons, one of which being I had to do a 4 hour drive yesterday which brought me to my knees and so today I have been panicking practically all day as I feel so ill from yesterday's effort. It's times like this when I think I ought to take medication again, but then I think about all the horrendous side effects and think I'd rather do things for myself. The only problem I have is how do I get the strength to cure myself?

The mental health team are very keen to get me on new medication and I didn't question it, but now I am. I want to be better, but I want to get there on my terms and at my pace.

Living with anxiety and panic is truly horrific, sometimes just the thought of getting thru the day is too much to bare. You feel as if all your strength is being used just to survive and cope, and you feel there is no energy or motivation to push yourself.

Here is what I believe and know for myself is the miracle cure.

1) cod liver oil tablets
    2) 1 a day multivitamins
    3) Kalms
    4) Rescue Remedy in water sipped during the day, or directly on tongue in episodes
    5) Eat and drink as much as possible even if your eating pattern is all over the place
    6) cut caffeine ( keep your morning tea or coffee)
    7) no alcohol at least until your better
    8) if smoke cut down even if it's just a few cigarettes less a day
    9) sleep more even if 12 hours, or multiple naps
    10) sunlight even on dull days as much as possible even if just in the garden or balcony especially in the mornings.
    11) try healthy morning type yogurt drinks
    12) 30 mins light exercise daily. Even if just housework make it slightly more physically challenging.
    13) talk as much as possible to family and friends.
    14) listen to classical music

Now with these efforts you are physically doing everything you can. You WILL feel better fast. I'm not going to get scientific and give long explanations as to why take these steps. Just anyone reading this try it.

Now the most important step to recovery in which requires your mind is and superhuman effort which is 100% without doubt is exactly how you get better. I don't care what you fear is, the outside, trains, supermarkets, crowds, objects whatever is not just to put yourself in that environment. But to stay in that environment until the panic and anxiety passes. Even if it's 10 mins or 8 hours, doesn't matter how long. IT WILL pass, it dies stop and if you do this your fears DO disappear. If you just expose yourself to something get scared and go home, most people get proud and think they did ok. But it's simply not the case it's just to endure it until the point you don't care if you leave and can retreat to your safe place. Now this can be done in steps, I.e if it's trains. You pick a day time or route when it's quiet then work your way up to rush hour. This is the cure my friends if anyone has the strength to do this. And come back and tell me it made you worse, I'll eat my own face.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information