Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very distressed

Thumbs down very distressed

does anyone ever worry that they might act on the thoughts because its going to happen sooner or later. I had a really intrusive thought yesterday whilst in town stating that I would push my daughter into the path of an oncoming bus. And this morning I went into again and I really felt as if I would act on them because it is bound to happen sooner or later does anyone else have this worry and will we act on it.

Re: very distressed

Hello

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time.

Intrussive thoughts about hurting your loved ones are a common sign in anxiety disorders and in particular in OCD.

The fact that you find it disturbing is proof that you will never act it out! The problem would arise if you didnt feel fear or distress when having such thoughts.

I know it is difficult for you to be reassured but I can guarantee you that you are not going ti hurt your daughter or anyone else, for that matter.

ARe you on medication? Are you seeing someone? I have alll sorts of obsessions and weird thoughts. Mine tend to be about me becoming mad and about starting to hear voices.

Funnily enough, I have had them constantly for over a month now and I obviously have not become mad or heard any voices...

I guess eventually I will move on into a new obsession about my heart, or cancer, or God knows!

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

OMG I know how you feel you get rid of one obsession and another one comes along. Hopefully one day we will run out of obsessions and be fine. I guess mine is really weird because it does genuinely feel like I will act upon them because its almost like my thoughts are telling me that it is going to be sooner or later and its almost like my thoughts rationalise in my head and I think its ok before I start to get really panicky about acting on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ipanicbadly View Post
    does anyone ever worry that they might act on the thoughts because its going to happen sooner or later. I had a really intrusive thought yesterday whilst in town stating that I would push my daughter into the path of an oncoming bus. And this morning I went into again and I really felt as if I would act on them because it is bound to happen sooner or later does anyone else have this worry and will we act on it.
    Its awful isnt it, I also feel like one day I will act on whatever twisted thought I am having, I too feel its just a matter of time.

Im so glad i read this im sitiing here crying because i just read that people with ocd know that their thoughts are wrong and the majority of the time i do but then its like my mind goes one step further and tries to convince me that my thoughts are ok then i start to get really really panicked and cry then my thoughts become clearer then it goes round and round and round, im just so fed up.

I know exactly what you mean its almost like I want to act on my thoughts but deep down I dont want to I thought I was turning psychotic it is such a relief to know that this is not true and I will not act on these thoughts.

Dont even get me started on worrying about turning psychotic... I keep on repeating my name in my head over and over again until I think I hear it!!!

It is pure obsessions, nothing else.

We are just a bit quirky!

OMG that is so weird I keep a very sharp ear out for listening to my thoughts and as soon as I make them louder in my head I think I am going mad. Especially if my thoughts are telling me to do horrible things I hate having OCD. But I know all along that it is just me

hi there,

sorry to here that you are having such a bad time. I know exactly how you feel because i have had ocd to harm myself for 10 years now and actually did it at the start. i,ve been compulsion free for 9 1/2 years now but the urges are still there. what i find helps is as soon as you panic take a deep breath in, hold it, then release it slowly. repeat this a few times until the panic subsides slightly. Also the trick is to realise that it is your mind playing up and that you dont want to do it. As soon as you start believing that these thoughts dont scare you, you are on the winning side.

Good luck, message me if you need to chat
    dannii

How do you know that you will not act on harming people then if you said that you self harmed to begin with.

Just wondering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information