Thread: Fear of panic attacks on holiday

Fear of panic attacks on holiday

Hi there, I’m brand new to this forum. I suffered from panic attacks and anxiety a few years ago. After being two years free of them they have hit me again like a tonne of bricks. I know there are a few contributing factors. It was the anniversary of my dads death and I have also entered a fairly new relationship. I am due to go on holiday with my boyfriend and a lot of his friends in two weeks time and I am waking up drenched in sweat thinking about it with a pounding heart. My doctor has prescribed me sertraline but I don’t particularly want to start a new medication so close to going and have committed to cbt sessions a few times a week leading up to it. Does anyone have any advice . I really do want to go but I just want to be normal on the trip. I’m scared to drink alcohol incase I panic the next day and I’m also scared I will just want to leave and be unable to stop panicking whilst away.
    I have diazepam for a safety backup but any advice would be great. I really don’t want this to stop me experiencing life and fun things
    X

Re: Fear of panic attacks on holiday

Sorry that your anxiety is back.
    I don’t really have a lot of advice, you need to think about how you got better before and what helped you. CBT sounds useful.

You’ve done it before so you can do it again. I’m sure you’re going to have an excellent time. Does your partner know & understand how you feel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Fear of panic attacks on holiday

I used medication before but I think I was more open to it out of pure terror from not understanding really what the attacks were, I was just desperate to get rid of the feeling. I guess my problem is I’ve only two weeks before I go, which doesn’t give me a lot of time to learn that much with the CBT but also wouldn’t allow me enough time to adjust to new medication . Thank you for your response , I will see how I feel tomorrow after my next cbt appointment.
    My partner understands to an extent - having never experienced anxiety or panic attacks himself he can only understand so much. I have not expressed my fear about going away yet but I think I will have to

Thread Information