Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Stopped diazepam 18 days ago. Need some support .............

Re: Stopped diazepam 18 days ago. Need some support .............

Crossed over from lorazepam. Worst symptoms are brain shocks like my brain suddenly feels like it is moving in my head, chest tightness and palpitations and the feeling i am dieing - like right now

Hi all, just checking in and updating my thread. I am presently just over 11 months since taking my last diazepam tablet.

Still having ups and downs but some decent days, I’ve joined a gym recently and also started some courses. Trying to be more social and push myself more. Still have bad days where I just need to rest but never once been tempted to reinstate.

I’m under a psychiatrist who has been a great support and she has suggested promethazine on the really bad days (antihistamine) I sometimes take this around the time of my period when my symptoms are at their worst.

Things that have improved:-
    Sleep
    Mood
    Energy

Things still troubling me:-
    Nerve pain
    Muscle twitches
    Muscle spasms

Was diagnosed with NFD and Fibromyalgia so not too sure if all these symptoms are still related to the withdrawal from diazepam. I’m definitely in a better place than where I was in the first 6mths.

From what I’ve read healing usually happens between 12-18mths.... still some way to go.....

How are you doing Autumn? Did you manage to reduce to 3mg?

Anyone thinking of starting Diazepam for anxiety, please don’t. Let my story be a warning and if you do take it, keep it to only 2 weeks use.

Hope this update has helped others going through benzo withdrawal

Michelle, ty for the update. What is NFD?

Well it’s been over 12mths almost 13 and I’m still off diazepam.......

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle1 View Post
    Well done Pulisa on being drug free too xx
    To be honest my scary experiences on paroxitine/seroxat, venlafaxine/Effexor and now this bloody poison I've been taking daily for 7 years I'm scared off Meds. It really has made me have a phobia about these sorts of medications. I keep saying to my teenage daughter please promise me you will never take antidepressants/benzos. I really hate to see anyone suffer such soul destroying symptoms when it's time to come off!!! Maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones who has the genetic disposition to find these drugs harder to come off. I don't know. I think I've had a lot of damage done to my CNS from these drugs and now I just want to feel like me without any drugs. I spoke to my gp about my insomnia since tolerance and subsequent withdrawal and she was going to suggest another drug to counteract this. I said noooooooooo
    Hi,

Antidepressants are different to benzo's. If you were taking both at the same time it would be extra difficult. Both meds have their place, benzo's for short term anxiety (10 days max) and antidepressants for longer term depression.

I know many people who have suffered from depression who have found antidepressants to be life savers plus they are not addictive or habit forming. An example of this would be post natal depression.

Many people with autoimmune conditions need to take antidepressants at a low dose for their symptoms(not depression) for long periods of time. Taken like this they are very safe.

When you're in the throws of withdrawal, it would be easy to vilify all meds but taken responsibly they can be of huge benefit.
    In saying this I'm not casting aspersions on you, I believe you are doing the right, getting off the benzo's.

My partner had an ex-girlfriend (many years ago) who'd been on them for 15 years at a high dose. She'd been off the them totally for 12 years when they met. Unfortunately, she still had the same psychological problems that she had before starting the benzo's so the relationship ended. I was told she also had a huge fear of meds and medical intervention, right down to vaccinations for childhood diseases! :(
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 04-03-18 at 04:35.

Just a quick update, 2 years off the diazepam. Things are much better.....

I have been on diazepam for 6 years and haven't had any problems with it I couldn't do without it in some situations,it only causes problems if you take it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra1980 View Post
    I have been on diazepam for 6 years and haven't had any problems with it I couldn't do without it in some situations,it only causes problems if you take it all the time.
    How much valium do you take and how frequently?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra1980 View Post
    I've been on 5mg twice daily for 16 yrs with no probs.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronic911 View Post
    How much valium do you take and how frequently?
    As less as I can even when my anxiety is really bad I won't take it I only take 2x2mg if it's really really bad like a month ago I had to take it every day for a week just to take the edge off i could have did with taking it for longer but I stopped myself and the next time and last I took it was last Thursday to go to the doctor.

I have had SA and panic attacks since I've been 4 I'm now 52 so I am used to my anxiety being really bad without taking it I just wait until it stops by itself I just take the diazepam when I really can't cope,I'm on esa so don't need to do anything that really stresses me out on a regular basis.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information