Thread: Swallowing, saliva only

Swallowing, saliva only

Hello all, it has been a while....

I'm currently in the midst of a particularly bad anxiety and panicy flare up. This current flare up has been with me slowly escalating for the last few weeks or so.

This time there is a further cruel and unsual side effect I've not previously experienced and that is swallowing.

In particular saliva. I'm not having any problems with liquids or food, just saliva. It is almost like a reflex type reaction and each and every time it sets my panic-o-meter off a bit. And what is really tedious is that I feel compelled to swallow every few seconds.

I'm obviously convinced that this is an anxiety and panic related issue but there is an added issue in so far as I take a very powerful drug for a heart health issue (this issue is the prime cause and driver of my anxiety but that is another matter). The added issue is that this drug can severely damage the thyroid gland which I assume could cause swallowing issues.

However I think this a purely a panic and anxiety issue and I have problem drinking or eating.

Other than sipping water which alleviates it does anyone have any tips and tricks on how to calm this horrible issue down? I've read the sticky and will concentrate on the breathing thing but if anyone has good fixes I'd love to hear them.

P.S. I'm waiting for a call from my GP to discuss and hopefully on the back of that discussion I might secure an appointment. It is very difficult to get anywhere near my GP's.

Re: Swallowing, saliva only

While it's true that it could be a thyroid issue it's more likely a combination of globus hystericus and psychosomatic symptoms brought on by being aware of not being able to swallow saliva.

I choke on mine quite a lot especially if I force myself to swallow as a self check.

Pregabalin 300mg

How are you doing now, Colin? My issue is reversed... I feel confident swallowing saliva, and some liquid, but food gets stuck going down my throat, and I'm troubled about that.
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Hi Colin

I feel for you. As I know how heart thumping this particular anxiety can be. I had during secondary school especially in front of speeches and lectures. Also within the class room if I sat at the front. It's like you just feel the need to swallow , swallow and swallow. I still get it sometimes now when my compulsions swap over. Mate I find the way to deal with it, and what Ive been told through therapy is just swallow if you need to swallow, be comfortable with it, less self conscious, then...

you will gradually see the anxiety of it fade away, and swallow less, as you will be less aware of it. It worked for me.

But I remember I sat back row for everything because it really built when I was at the front as I felt people were counting how many times I swallow but just couldn't help it. Its hard mate I know..any more tips id be happy to help out. it will go I promise. and if it comes back you will know how to make it fade again.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

and also I remember feeling the swallowing was really loud as if people could hear the saliva go down my throat

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Colin_P View Post
    Hello all, it has been a while....

I'm currently in the midst of a particularly bad anxiety and panicy flare up. This current flare up has been with me slowly escalating for the last few weeks or so.

This time there is a further cruel and unsual side effect I've not previously experienced and that is swallowing.

In particular saliva. I'm not having any problems with liquids or food, just saliva. It is almost like a reflex type reaction and each and every time it sets my panic-o-meter off a bit. And what is really tedious is that I feel compelled to swallow every few seconds.

I'm obviously convinced that this is an anxiety and panic related issue but there is an added issue in so far as I take a very powerful drug for a heart health issue (this issue is the prime cause and driver of my anxiety but that is another matter). The added issue is that this drug can severely damage the thyroid gland which I assume could cause swallowing issues.

However I think this a purely a panic and anxiety issue and I have problem drinking or eating.

Other than sipping water which alleviates it does anyone have any tips and tricks on how to calm this horrible issue down? I've read the sticky and will concentrate on the breathing thing but if anyone has good fixes I'd love to hear them.

P.S. I'm waiting for a call from my GP to discuss and hopefully on the back of that discussion I might secure an appointment. It is very difficult to get anywhere near my GP's.
    hi Colin

read the above what I wrote. and I hope it helps

Andrew

Hi Colin
    U ok?
    Andrew

Thread Information