Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to start Cipralex

About to start Cipralex

Hello again,

I am going to start Cipralex 5mg on Wednesday and I am a little bit scared about it. The last time that I tried it, it didn't end up going very well, but I don't have many options because I cannot really function.

On the plus side, the doctor will be combining it with 4 mg of Ativan a day, plus the Lopressor that I am currently taking.

I have one question for you guys. I seem to be having stomach problems that I think are from stress, but is it possible that Lexapro will affect my stomach? I mean, I have to stop my Nexium(endoscopy did not really show anything except mild gastritis)and I will be taking a few pills a day. I will be on 5mg for a week and then go to 10 mg and wait 2 weeks there. The doctor said it might be enough, so we will see if we will need to up it.

Has lexapro caused anyone any stomach troubles or even in your head caused you to think that it did? If it doesn't work the doctor has given me alternatives, but I heard that It works wonders for GAD/Panic attacks that I have so I will do whatever it takes. Also any advice or anything I should pay close attention to?

Thank you,
    John

Re: About to start Cipralex

I was on 10mg for 5 yrs with no probs with the stomach or anything else.
    Like you I started on 5 then went to 10 and it was enough.
    Side effects were minimal if at all.
    The fact that your Dr is combining it with Avitan should make it easy.
    I would recommend Cipralex to anyone considering it.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thank you for your kind opinion.

I had a few difficulties the last time that I started with the Lexapro(panic attacks, nervousness), so I am very stressed about it. I was not taking the Ativan back then though, so I am hoping that now those effects will not be as intense if they exist at all.

How long does it normally take to see any signs of improvement?

Thanks!

Have you started the Cipralex yet, and how are the side effects? I think I will be switching soon from Citalopram to Escitalopram (Citalopram seems to have "pooped out"), and I'm really anxious about switching!

No, I am about to start it in two days. The doctor wanted me only on anti anxiety medication for 4 days before I start an SSRI.

I think that the two you mention are similar pills, but I will update about the side effects when I start taking the pills.

The first time I took them they made me feel more anxious, but from what I have read, it is to be expected as the body adjusts to the medication.

Hopefully some of the people here that are taking it will be able to let us know about their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPanic View Post
    Thank you for your kind opinion.

I had a few difficulties the last time that I started with the Lexapro(panic attacks, nervousness), so I am very stressed about it. I was not taking the Ativan back then though, so I am hoping that now those effects will not be as intense if they exist at all.

How long does it normally take to see any signs of improvement?

Thanks!
    Mr Dr started me with 5mg Valium to help with side effects and I didn't really notice how long it took.
    It was a gradual thing and one day I realised things were good.
    Hope you have the same sort of experience.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I suffer with gastritis and take a PPI Lansoprazole as and when needed. It didn't make my stomach any worse and in fact, due to stress and anxiety, it is actually better since the medication has kicked in. I was just very nauseous for a few weeks when I first started taking it, but nothing major, was still able to go to work etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    Mr Dr started me with 5mg Valium to help with side effects and I didn't really notice how long it took.
    It was a gradual thing and one day I realised things were good.
    Hope you have the same sort of experience.
    Haha, I hope so. I will be taking 3 dosages through the day of 1mg of lorazepam, so I hope it will be a smooth ride lol!

So, I just started with the pill today. Due to the fact that I am taking it together with other medication that calm me down, it has not made me anxious like other times. It has though made me feel nausea, upset stomach, etc.

Does anyone know if it is one of the side effects and if so how long after does it subside?
    Also, the doctor told me I could use Nexium(I have gastritis), but I was worried because of Serotonin Syndrome. He still looked and told me not to worry about it, but I just wanted to check if anyone else is taking Nexium and Cipralex/Lexapro.

How are you doing today, JohnnyPanic?

I've never taken Nexium, but I don't think taking both could cause serotonin syndrome. My husband has been on Citalopram for years and before that a different antidepressant, and he's had to take Nexium off and on for ulcers throughout that time. His doctor has always prescribed both at the same time, and he's never had any issues with serotonin syndrome.

Nausea, upset stomach, etc. can be start up side effects. I had an upset stomach, not constantly but sporadically, when I first started Citalopram. For me, it lasted about 4 weeks, but I also was started at a larger dose than you are, and then bumped up to the max dosage of Cit after only a week. Starting at a lower amount means the side effects will be less.

I've also heard that, in general, Escitalopram has fewer and milder side effects when starting than many of the other antidepressants. So, your stomach problems could go away in just a few days, or be very mild.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information