Thread: Day 7 - Celexa.

Day 7 - Celexa.

Just wondering if anyone has had a weird ‘off balance’ feeling when on Celexa? Idk how to describe it but sometimes I look up or look around and feel like the world is having to adjust in my vision field - like it’s a little off.

I was also prescribed hydroxyz for the accute panic anxiety I was experiencing since last week. It has since subsided so I only took it before sleeping last night because night time is always very difficult for me. I wonder if that could still be in my system causing the off-balance kind of feeling?

I was on a celexa a few years ago and didn’t remember this exact symptom but I do remember sort of an unsteady feeling. The health anxiety I’m dealing with has me worrying about this being a symptom of brain issues or Something so I’m just hoping someone has had a similar side effect?

Re: Day 7 - Celexa.

Hi Golden,
    Yes, the "off balance" or dizzy feeling is quite a common side-effect during the initial weeks on Celexa/citalopram. i am 5 weeks into my latest (3rd) round of cit and I still get that feeling, which comes and goes some days and some times during the same day. When it happens, I recognize it as increased anxiety, so try to change my thoughts (think happy!) and/or do something to distract my attention away.
    I know it feels horrible, but just believe that this is temporary. Did your doctor prescribe a benzo (e.g., clonazepam, diazepam) to control your anxiety through the early going ... this should help make you more "grounded"?

Thank you for the reply! That has subsided some but unfortunately after almost 4 weeks I feel little improvement to my health anxiety, general anxiety and panic feeling at night and very little change my very bad (currently) social anxiety.

:/ I don’t know what to do now.

Hi Golden,
    Citalopram and SSRI's in general are a slow process that can take 6 or more weeks to get better. Some people feel the beneficial effects in a few weeks and, for some people, it takes much longer.
    If you do not feel any improvement after 6 weeks, then I suggest you see your doctor about increasing the dosage (starting dose is usually 20mg once per day).

Thank you for the reply! I am doing 20mg a day. It’s funny because I remember feeling like celexa was beneficial to me a few years ago but I guess things can change or maybe I need a little more time. I’m just surprised and a little upset that it hasn’t helped much. Thank you, again!

I ended up stopping Celexa cold turkey (inadvertently) I did not have a refill available and no dr. Appt available for a few weeks so I had some withdraw symptoms of nausea, motion sickness and headaches which subsided after about a week.

I had a dr appt today and asked to try something else. Going to try lexapro now along with hydroxyl (?) for accrue anxiety. We’ll see.

Hi Golden,
    I think Lexapro a.k.a. Escitalopram is chemically similar to Celexa a.k.a. Citalopram, with similar side effects when you start. Despite chemical similarities, different SSRI's work better or worse for different people, so I hope Lexapro works better for you.
    Please keep us posted on how things go with you on Lexapro, compared to Citalopram.

Thread Information