Thread: should I increase my meds?

Unhappy should I increase my meds?

I've been on 20 mg citalopram for last 8 weeks.Last week I was feeling great,even had comments about how happy I seemed.This all changed on Saturday after a small argument at home.Today I feel very scared,so much so that I've rung in sick at work.I dont know what to do.My family seem to enjoy conflict but it makes me sick.I cant cope with it.
    When my doc prescribed the meds he said take 20mg and if you dont feel better after 6 weeks then increase to 40mg.I cant see him until Thursday,earliest available appointment.Do you think I should increase to 30mg until I see him? I've used my rescue remedy and rock rose but still feel the same.I know the problem is mine,cos everyone has stress in their lives but I just cant cope.Please help.
    julie x

Re: should I increase my meds?

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're feeling so low at the moment. You said that the earliest available appointment with your doctor is Thursday, Thursday is too long to wait around feeling as low as you do right now. I think it'll be best for you to book an Emergency Appointment with your doctor and see him/her straight away. A good doctor should have no problem with this.

Hope you feel better soon xx

I wouldn't increase them without talking to him and be aware that the increase may make you feel worse for a while as well.

Remember that meds aren't a miracle cure and unless you are doing other stuff to improve your life then you could still have problems occasionally.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I would phone the doctors' surgery and ask if the your gp/any gp could phone you to advise. If you can't get an appointment at the surgery then doctors are duty bound to give you a phone call - especially when meds are concerned.

I personally would only raise the medication by 10mg - I think an increase of another 20mg is rather a lot in one go. Meds should be increased slowly just as they sh ould be decreased slowly.

What does interest me is the fact that you have been okay until there was this conflict in the home. It just goes to prove that what's going on in our lives is such a huge factor with this illness.

Good luck my friend and I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the replies.
    I increased to 30mg on monday and I'm seeing my gp tomorrow.I'm going to ask to be referred for some sort of therapy.When I saw him originally I asked for diazepam to be used when needed,not everyday but he refused and put me on citalopram.He doesnt seem to understand how I feel so I'm going to insist he puts me on the waiting list for cbt.Last time I saw him he said there was a waiting time of 12 months and that mental health services here are rubbish.I'll post again after I've seen him
    julie x

Thread Information