Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Banana!

Bad Banana!

Help - this evening I was eating a banana and it looked fine no discolouration at all or so I thought. i had eaten three quarters of it when I thought it tasted strange but swallowed anyway and when I looked at rest of banana it was bad up the middle - I only had one mouthful that had this badness in it.
    I tried to make myself sick and managed to get some back but nowhere near all of it and am now worried that it will give me food poisoning. I looked at the other bananas and they have gone bad from the bottom up but only in the middle not outside so you can't see it until after you are eating. I am really annoyed with myself that I didn't look at the banana before I bit into it but the first two thirds had been fine.
    I am moving house in 6 days and have mammoth amounts to do so am very firghtened that I will get food poisoning from this bad banana.

Re: Bad Banana!

Black bananas are just over-ripe and are perfectly edible, not poisonous. Some people even deliberately wait for them to go black because then they're better for making banana bread and cakes.

It won't hurt you at all. It is not bad just over-ripe and some people like them like that.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I love them over ripe and have eaten hundreds over the years - black bits and all !!

You'll be fine. I'll bet it's impossible to get food posioning from a ripe banana

Sue
    x

Thanks everyone - what set this off was that at the very bottom of banana skin where it all joins and you have the hard bit there was a hole there and the badness had started from there and I was thinking what if some nasty bacteria has got in there rather than it just being bruised and overripe
    I hate the what ifs of health anxiety

when i saw the title i thought this thread was referring to something i did
    I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

also, i am the banana expert - i hereby declare you are fine and the banana was OK.

jkjk i actually hate bananas ironically. but im sure it's fine nonetheless. ok clearly am just amusing myself here.
    I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I hope the replies to your message have put you at ease countrygirl. I'm afraid I don't eat black bananas either mainly cos they're all gooey lol!

Justbananas ...... thanks for making me laugh this morning lol!

Wendy

just banananas thats super funny
    Counrty girl your okay girl
    Lisa
    xxxx

I heard they are actually better for you over-ripe as the black bits contain higher levels of penicillin which is an antibiotic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information