Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia

Hi Im new to this forum. I doubt that anyone will have the same problems as me, but I thought I'd ask anyway guys, just to see if anyone can give me a few pointers. Its a tad embarrassing but my problem started when I was about 16, I read a leaflet in a precription box that I had picked up from the doctors and It said that the side effects could be diarrhea. I was anxious about going out that night because of this and all night I was paranoid that I needed the toilet, so I was back and forth. Since then it gradually became worse, and I was continually thinking that I needed the toilet and if there wasnt one close I would have an accident. I then bagan avoiding going out in fear of this happening to me, its been 6 years now and when ever i attempt to do anything I have to go to the bathroom immediately, like my body physically forces itself to go because of the panic and then I start to have a panic attack.I cannot go anywhere at all because of this. I try telling myself that I dont need it but it only increases these feelings. Has anybody experienced anything similar with panic and the bowels? If not thats okay, thanks for your time anyway...Liz

Red face Re: Agoraphobia

i have actually been given some new meds and i wont take them nt because i dont need them but i read the side effects and worrying i dont like change much but this had to happen as a rule i dont read the side effects usually due to this i wait and see how i go what i dont know i cant worry about if that makes sense or i get someone else to read them and not tell me other than if i say oh i got this or that happening may sond silly but it works for me and i dont have that worrry on my sholders as well as everything else my head decides to worry about.

Re: Agoraphobia

Hi Lou. I gave up reading labels on meds a long time ago. I've told my GP not to tell me about side effects unless they could be life threatening. We are just too suggestible to negative things. Honestly, if the labels told me: Warning, side effects could be super confidence and positivity, I wouldn't believe it! One time the label told me side effects could be a low sex drive, the following week I mysteriously found myself not in the mood with my boyfriend. That never happened before! So my advice would be to not read the labels unless it's vital. As regards needing the bathroom when you're anxious, I think that's just what happens to us. I know when I'm anxious I'm desperate to use the bathroom for 1 and 2. Maybe you might try a bit of cognitive therapy to get back out there and not have your bowels holding you back?

Lou,

i had the very same problem, the only time i get it now is if i am with my b/f strangely enough, anyway type in julie rowland on the internet, it will come up with wirral and chester hypnotherapists, click on it and read it, she explains exactly what you're going through.

Di xx

I am agrophobic and if I force myself to go out I always feel that I need the toilet in both ways. Last week I went to town and had to dash straight to the nearest public loo. Guess what? It was the day of the council strike and they were shut! I managed to hang on till I got home but it bought on a panic attack and I felt dreadful. Odd thing was, when I got to my loo all I could do was a wee. The other had simply gone away. All in the mind I guess.

Thanks guys!

I know its all in the mind, but once its in there its hard to get out.

Hi Lou...

Sympathise with your problem. It's natural to feel like going to the toilet when we are afraid of something.
    There are far worse things than filling up your undies in public
    Take Care

Thanks, I know there is its just Im absoultely terrified of it, i wont even go in my mums car for 5 mins and I trust her. I was getting better over the last year but that was coping with only the one problem, I went out and panicked and felt liek I was going to pee myself if I dont get to a toilet asap, since then Im worried about needing a wee all the time. It seems alot harder to predict than the previous problem.

Hi

I have the same problem, it started in high school, I couldnt stay in lessons and eventually left school early, but I did go back for another year (it was a bit more relaxed I guess).

I can go out a bit, but only when I'm forced to - from social workers etc. I don't eat anything if I know its a day I'm going out and always have to go to the toilet before I go anywhere, even then I dont stay out much longer than an hr usually as I also hate using public toliets!

I dreaded going out in someone elses car, I've got a bit used to it now but there are still panicy times.

I've felt the need to pee alot when nervous too, but its not that often, I make sure I'm totally empty before going out too.

I have IBS and lactose intollerance, maybe you have some food allergies which aren't helping.

Is it a feeling of needing to go or do you really need to go?

the panic loosens my bowels, sadly. If it was just the thought Im sure I could fight it, if I knew nothing would come from it. But it does unfortuantley. The more I tell myself I dont need to go the more its on my mind and the more I do need to. Its been 3 months now and I havent walked out the front door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information