Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to clear throat/cough

Re: Need to clear throat/cough

Hello,

I think I've had something similar for the last month or so.

When I'd breathe in hard - for example when exerting myself - running maybe - I'd get that irritated feeling in my windpipe, like a tickly, raspy sensation that'd eventually go after about 20 mins of 'normal' breathing.

Then I started getting it pretty much all the time & still have it now - a tickly feeling at the back of my throat which occasionally makes me want to cough but fairly rarely.

It feels a bit like the sensation you get after a cold when you're heading for the coughing phase but doesn't go any further than the tickling.

I do seem to be prone to Post Nasal Drip and my nose feels pretty bunged up a fair amount of the time currently & I'm permanently clearing my throat again.

I also seem to be feeling a bit 'refluxy' too although that seems to have only appeared in the last week or so.

Of course, being a panicker, two weeks ago I went to the Doctor (before the acid reflux became more noticeable) convinced that I had lung cancer. He had a good listen to my chest & heart & said they were clear - probably a virus. Looking down my throat he said I looked congested so presumably he could see the muck from the PND.

Anyway, I now find myself with chest discomfort appearing anywhere from behind the breast bone to all round my chest - most of which only appear when I breathe in and then tense. I've had these on & off for ages so presume that these are a tension/muscular thing.

Dr Google has now convinced me that I have Oesophegal (SP?) cancer so I'm seemingly back at square one although I don't think I'm having trouble swallowing so maybe not..

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Wow, this is almost exactly what I've been experiencing over the last few days!!! I had a bug last week which has gone now but I've been left with this irritated feeling down my throat and I've been clearing my throat a lot. I don't think it's the bug because it's been almost a week since it went. I have had Post Nasal Drip and cattargh etc since I was 12 because of dust allergy and hay fever so this could be connected. I am starting to wonder if it's anxiety though...there's been a few people on here complaining of the same thing and it does seem to improve when I stop worrying or when I'm focusing on something else! Also it feels a lot better after a hot drink and in the morning when I wake up.

Angry Re: Need to clear throat/cough

I have been constantly clearing my throat and coughing since I was 16 years old. I am now 37 and although I've somewhat become used to it, it is annoying as hell. Not to mention embarrassing. When sitting in a class, or a restaurant, movie theater, etc... The throat clearing is a killer. If I try not to do it I can't breathe and the more I think about it the worse it gets. At night its horrible, I have to sleep with a towel or blanket over my face to dampen and warm the air to fall asleep. The towel/blanket/pillow concept helps to not disturb my girlfriend as well. I also have GERD constantly and I'm sure this contributes to it. I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety w/ ongoing panic attacks, severe PTSD, and paranoid personality disorder. I'm currently on Klonopin 4 times a day which doesn't help the throat clearing, but makes it less noticeable. I've been on all kind of acid reducers, but the only one that worked was Nexium and it has no generic and costs as much as my car payment. No allergy pill on earth that I have taken has not sent me into an earth shattering panic attack, so all that is a no go. I'm coughing up a storm right now so bad that it has given me a headache. Nothing to cough up nothing to clear but it feels like i'm drowning. grrrr I hate this. Don't know what to do anymore.

OMG I get the exact same thing. I have had this persistant cough/post nasal drip thing for many many years. I feel as though I have to cough all the time to clear my throat which just doesn't happen. People often say to me, gosh how many cigarettes have you smoked!!! I have never smoked in my life. I had a sinus operation many years ago which helped for a few weeks but it came back again. I"m going through a bad bout of it at the minute and my chest is achy and hurts when i cough now because i think i've strained it. Not sure what the answer is but would love to find something to stop it.
    Take care
    Tracy xx

Had this for 3 weeks! along with being ever so breathless

I've just started getting this feeling the last few days, It's worse after I've just eaten, feels like something is stuck in my neck somewhere so I keep swallowing and feel like I need to burp to clear it. Don't notice it in the morning just as the day goes on and mostly after I've eaten. Freaking me out a bit. I have been more stressed the last week or 2 than normal, had several people say I'm not myself at the moment, mum and wife both want me to go to the doctor for depression.

Hi. I'm new to this site. I haven't been diagnosed with these problems but they sound like what I'm dealing with. Is anyone dealing with a shortness of breath along with that acid reflux thing? For over a month I have had to use a nebulizer twice a day. Anyway its working. But like y'all I'm constantly coughing. There's the feeling that I've got something in my throat like an itch. Drs think its asthma. Allergy. Or acid reflux. They don't even know for sure without running tests. They are expensive.

Thanks. Mlea

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information