Thread: Cipralex and urge for bread and butter.............

Cipralex and urge for bread and butter.............

Please say I am not the only one?

Re: Cipralex and urge for bread and butter.............

Well it looks like you might be!!

Anyway it is documented that escitalopram can affect weight loss/gain and appetite up/down. It can also affect the glucose management which is probably where the appetite/weight changes come from.

As a personal perspective my sugar management was a bit rubbish already - though I passed a blood test - but I think the esc' made it a bit worse. I found I've been ok as I always take the med just after food and make sure I have a snack at bedtime so my sugar was not as low on waking. Note that low blood sugar can encourage anxiety even in the non-anxious. I know it affects me even before the meds.

Anyway if you have a sensible body you might react to lower blood sugar by wanting healthy food like bread/butter. Most of us crave stupid foods like jam, cakes and biscuits. So well done really.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_kev View Post
    Well it looks like you might be!!

Anyway it is documented that escitalopram can affect weight loss/gain and appetite up/down. It can also affect the glucose management which is probably where the appetite/weight changes come from.

As a personal perspective my sugar management was a bit rubbish already - though I passed a blood test - but I think the esc' made it a bit worse. I found I've been ok as I always take the med just after food and make sure I have a snack at bedtime so my sugar was not as low on waking. Note that low blood sugar can encourage anxiety even in the non-anxious. I know it affects me even before the meds.

Anyway if you have a sensible body you might react to lower blood sugar by wanting healthy food like bread/butter. Most of us crave stupid foods like jam, cakes and biscuits. So well done really.

The odd thing is is that I have never been a bread and butter person in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    The odd thing is is that I have never been a bread and butter person in my life.
    Ah, but that's the magic of seratonin manipulation. It can do practically anything good or bad. Really all the GPs do is send the meds running into your signal box nearly-randomly pulling levers. Then standback and see if things are getting better or not.

gotta love these gp's

Thread Information