Thread: Propranolol Sustained Release 80mg

Propranolol Sustained Release 80mg

Hi All

I've just joined this forum so not really sure what I'm doing?!

I've had anxiety probably all my life (as a kid I used to freak out if I wasn't asleep by 9pm! - and couldn't sleep if I wasn't, and was really obsessed when I had exams etc) But it only got really bad the last couple of years.

Long story short I recently got put on Sertraline, but only took them for a week because I was already experiencing some pretty horrid side effects (the ones that don't go away after a couple of weeks) despite the fact they seemed to be helping me. To avoid weight gain & sexual problems, they prescribed me with Propranolol sustained release instead...this was 2 days ago & I've already rung the doctors once as I'm so anxious about putting on weight and apparently Propranolol can make you gain?! Yesterday I was still quite anxious..However, I woke up this morning and my anxiety is out of control. The doctors allowed me to stop the Zoloft in place of the propranolol as they thought that would take the edge off any small withdrawal i'd get after such a short time.

I'm so confused now as I thought Propranolol sustained release was supposed to work straight away, but I feel worse than ever now?! Will it take a few days to kick in?

HELP!

Re: Propranolol Sustained Release 80mg

Hiya. I have been on the Propranolol SR 80mg. From what I understand it should be something that acts straight away on the physical symptoms of anxiety. When I took it, I certainly felt calmer and physically less tense after about 30 mins and it lasted all day. However, I did find it upset my stomach and that was why I stopped taking it.

I think it's not a particularly strong medication for anxiety as I certainly felt anxious and had some symptoms while taking it although they were less than they would have been.

It does nothing for the mental triggers/thoughts that will be causing the physical issues.

Not sure if I've been much help - hopefully someone else will have had more experience.

Re: Propranolol Sustained Release 80mg

No that's helpful thanks, I was taking them at night and I think the effects were wearing off by the morning. I took one this morning & i'm definitely feeling better...though the thoughts are still there they just don't get me as wound up about them. I am having IAPT & probably CBT soon as IAPT isn't really helping, so hopefully that'll help deal with the thoughts & the propranolol can keep me calmer.

Think i'll give it a week or so & go back to the doctors! I feel like I'm hassling them though :/

I asked them about Buspirone instead but my doctor wasn't at all convinced - but I've seen so many good reviews?!

x

Thread Information