Thread: ovarian cancer symptoms vs gastric reflux? im worried

ovarian cancer symptoms vs gastric reflux? im worried

My gran died of ovarian cancer aged 42 and Im scared to death Im going to get it too.
    Her sister (my great Aunt) has never had any problems and my mum that Im aware of, hasnt either- but for some reason I am absolutely convinced it will pass on to me.

My great grandma also had some form of breast cancer (i never met her) and they claim the 2 cancers are linked- (breast and ovarian)

I have felt bloated in my upper stomach (under the ribs) for weeks... and I felt like I needed to burp all the time too (someone suggested acid reflux)
    I looked online at stomach acid symptoms and got myself some gaviscon and that seems to have cleared it (for now) but then I came across another website that says gastric signs such as reflux/indigestion also mimic ovarian cancer symptoms so now Im even more terrified.

Im 25 and had an ultrasound with my last pregnancy 11 months ago- I have managed to convince myself in 11 months I have developed severe Ovarian cancer and that the bloating/fullness is my bodies way of telling me (even tho the gaviscon got rid of it)

I thought stomach acid went on its own? why would I have it all these weeks and suddenly after having gaviscon it'd go? it makes no sense..... i've had it too long for a days worth of liquid to get rid of it (if you know what I mean)

Also I never had the heartburn with it but a friend of mine said that due to the burping I wouldnt suffer from heartburn..
    My symptoms also got worse after certain food and drink.. orange juice/tea/lemonade/ fatty food...

im so scared its cancer... thinking about it constantly

Re: ovarian cancer symptoms vs gastric reflux? im worried

anyone? :(

Re: ovarian cancer symptoms vs gastric reflux? im worried

Honey, I would seriously doubt that you have it as it is very rare in one so young. But if you are so worried go and chat with your GP - I am sure that given the family history she would be more than willing to put your mind at rest with a CA125 blood test and ultrasound.

The reflux etc will be being caused by your anxiety, I am sure.

When they refer to bloating for Ovarian Cancer symptoms, they are talking about permanent bloating that does not go away and that you suffer on most days rather than periodically. I bet yours does go up and down depending on how anxious and full of wind you are?

I am sure that you will be fine - you have to remember too that although over 6000 women a year in the UK are diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in the UK, over half of them are over 60 which makes your chance of getting it very small indeed.

Now, take a deep breath for this next bit - there is a link between breast cancer and ovarian cancer if you carry the BRAC gene (ie., the genetic link that can cause these cancers via inherited characteristics). You could ask your GP about a test for this too because this would then also put your mind at rest about that too.

All very scary I know - I am convinced I have OC and am awaiting a date for an ultrasound and transvaginal scan to look at my "bits" - everyone tells me it is anxiety but I will not rest until I have the results.

Good luck hunni - be brave and go and discuss it with your GP - I am sure that they can put your mind at rest.

Thread Information