Thread: Feel like I'm weak

Feel like I'm weak

This morning I got a letter for my councelling appointment. I'm now able to get to the clinic to see the lady. But the date of the appointment is when my parents get back from holiday. I don't want the appointment on that day. It's at 9am and they won't be back till afternoon at the earliest, and my boyfriend would be setting off from here to work, (he stays with me when they're away), before they got back, and I'd want to get ready, have breakfast and make sure the house is tidy, I like to make sure everything is right for when they get back.

I told my Occupational therapist that I felt I couldn't do Monday because of above. And then I got upset because of a couple of things OT said to me, she wasn't been horrible but I could tell she thinks the above reason is an excuse and I could go that day.

She also told me that I need to ring the lady who's going to be giving me councelling, and I didn't feel comfotable with that. But she wanted me to at least try. And when I came off the phone I started crying which irritated my dad, he wanted me just to phone and I don't think he could understand why I couldn't just ring the councellor. He has since apologised. I know he gets frustrated. But at the time it made me feel more upset.

The thing is I feel like i'm such a weak person. For feeling it's too much for having the appointment on Monday, and also for feeling uncomfortable ringing the counceller. I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks I'm weak. Because at times I do feel I am.

Heather x

Hi Heather,
    don't think you're on your own in the way you feel about this situation.
    I'd be exactly the same, the thing is once I've dialled & am on the phone I'm usually ok. It's the building up to doing it which can sometimes take hours/days!!
    In the kindest way, it'd probably be best to take the bull by the horns and make the call asap & get it out the way.
    I find it helps to prepare everything you want to say, take a few minutes & do some slow controlled deep breaths before taking the plunge.
    Quite often I'll put the phone down afterwards & cuss myself for saying something silly but the flood of relief that it's done is worth it.
    If you really don't want the appointment on Monday, you don't have to give reasons - just be strong & say that unfortunately it's not convenient.
    Hope you manage it ok.

Mags
    XXXX

Hi.

You are not weak at all hun. I am like that when I have to ring people, I don't like it at all and it makes me feel very uncomfortable. I am ok ringing friends etc. but not councellors and all that. Just try and be calm, have you arranged another time for an appointment with your councellor?

Scooby2005
    x x

You are deffinately not weak hun. I get worried about ringing people too.

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

Hi Heather,

Course you aint weak. I think we all get nervous when we have to speak to people like that. You are not weak honey just normal.

Take Care

Mandy

xx

Hi Heather, your not weak hun, lot's of us are nervous when it comes to making these sort of phone calls, me for one.

Best wishes,

Polly x

Thank you all for your replies.

Yesterday I rang the number of the councellor's office, but it was an answering machine, I chickened out of leaving a message on it, I felt too uncomfortable, so I rang my OT and she was on a call at the time so the secretary passed the message on for me.

My OT later rang me, and said she's rearranged the appointment for me and the lady understands. So I feel happier about that.

Still when I woke up this morning though I felt like my reason for not having the appointment on the original date, is a weak and pathetic reason. But I know how I get on the night before my parents arrive home, I always go around worrying I've left the oven on, left doors unlocked etc etc. Worrying if I do anything wrong, it will be all down to me. And I like to get all the house perfect for when they come back. And I thought if I have this first councelling appointment to worry about on top of how I get, my anxiety will most likely be worse.

Heather x

hi heather, i dont think your reason is weak and pathetic at all - i totally sympathise. if i have something stressful going on i have to make sure everything else around me is all sorted out so i dont have anything extra to think about.

also, when i have an appointment to have my mental health woman round i will only do that on days when my hubby is at home as i always cry (i dont even know why!!!) and i cant cope with having to collect the kids from school and looking like ive been crying [:I]

i think counsellors are used to that sort of thing, you should congratulate yourself for sorting it out.

take care,
    mag

Hi Strawberrie,

Thank you for your reply. that's exactly like me, like to have everything sorted before having appointments etc.

Take care,

Heather x

Hi!

Sorry for disturbing, but i'm new here, actually its my first message on this chat room.
    About this topic, i'm so afraid... Tomorrow i will have my first appointment with my psihiatrist... I had a panic attack a month ago and since then i'm not able to get out from house or to stay alone... It's scaring for me, because i used to be very independent and "walky"... I'm taking pills (alprazolam and some naturist pills), but i'm still in a very bad mood... i'm so afraid of going crazy... fearing a lot...

Thread Information