Thread: Filling the void of unhappiness?

Filling the void of unhappiness?

I wonder if anyone else is like this, they have a void of unhappiness that they fill with unhealthy habits such as drinking, over eating, over spending.

I know with me I do all the above, I get a temporary high but then the unhappiness comes back usually worse than before.

The question is how do we stop doing this? How do we be happy just as we are without the need to try and fill a void?

Re: Filling the void of unhappiness?

That is personality. I don't do that, but know many who do. You need some Skype friends to help you change. Some one to talk to, but will you listen to them?

These are quick-fix happy moments and sometimes you can not find happiness and most people don't know what to look for anyway, but it just sort of happens.

One of things, I think is important for anyone, is to feel wanted.
    So, maybe volunteering for a Charity, Church or Animal Welfare could help.

I agree, I think helping others can give your life more sense of purpose. I think a course like Stress Control could be helpful for you - they teach you healthy ways of managing low mood and anxiety, and it's available on the NHS in many areas, so you could ask your doctor about that or see if you can refer yourself to your local NHS Wellbeing Service. The sessions are taught in large groups but you are never expected to stand up and speak in front of everyone.

Thread Information