Thread: Citalopram & Throat Discomfort

Citalopram & Throat Discomfort

Hi all...new here and not having much joy with the Search facility in finding the information I want, so apologies if this is a repeat from anything elsewhere...

I'm taking Citalopram (10mg/day) and am suffering a number of the side effects such as fatigue and upset stomach, however the one that is concerning me slightly is the feeling of a lump in my throat - it almost feels like a massive ball of trapped wind?!

I know this is a drug side effect as this is the second time I have attempted to take Citalopram and I got it as a side effect last time too. However, I can't see it listed anywhere as a common side effect and wondered if (i) anyone else had suffered with this and/or (ii) if anyone knows it's a listed side effect somewhere? At the moment it's so bad, it's making me very uncomfortable (although I am only 7 days into my course).

Thanks for any help/advice!

Re: Citalopram & Throat Discomfort

I sometimes get a tight feeling in my throat from it, kinda like a bloated scratchy feeling. Tell yer Doc about it I would. Mine is bearable. Yours doesn't sound so.

Quote Originally Posted by fell_on_black_days View Post
    I sometimes get a tight feeling in my throat from it, kinda like a bloated scratchy feeling. Tell yer Doc about it I would. Mine is bearable. Yours doesn't sound so.
    It's not so far (and is the reason I stopped taking the drug after a week last time) but have been told I need to push to at least 14 days to see if the side effect fades or not!

Hi,
    A lump in the throat can be a symptom of anxiety which is a side effect of the Med. Just a thought. Hope you get relief soon!

Quote Originally Posted by lpd_302 View Post
    Hi,
    A lump in the throat can be a symptom of anxiety which is a side effect of the Med. Just a thought. Hope you get relief soon!
    Possible I guess although am wondering more if it's related to the fact I've always suffered from gastric reflux and have had to take Omeprazole daily for that for the last 10 years. That is a drug Citalopram can interact with apparently (although in theory that would result in nothing more than the Citalopram being a little stronger I am told). Annoying anyway...and sadly not the only side effect I am getting (but the only one I am aware of 24/7).

Ever since starting Citalopram I've noticed so many things going on in my body. I've been on the medication for about 3 weeks now. The first week was mostly feeling strange/euphoric at times. The 2nd week was all about abdominal pain (enough so to send me to the e.r. I was thinking maybe I was having appendicitis. It turns out it was simply colitis with a potential diverticulum starting. Now that my intestines are finally starting to feel better...this week has mostly been about my throat. I don't know what is going on but I have been having some of the same feelings that you all have been describing. I originally had felt like I had a lump in the back left of my throat. It was a bit difficult to swallow. The feeling of dryness/scratchiness is there throughout the day and progressively gets worse. Another thing I've noticed is an increased production in a thick, clear mucus in the back of my throat throughout the day. So it's no wonder my throat is scratchy/uncomfortable. Post nasal drip/dry mouth seems to be the culprit. And of course, along with the postnasal drip..my lymph nodes in my neck have swollen slightly. I really don't want to be scared of what this all could mean...I've been checked out by 3 different doctors who all say there's nothing wrong with me...I've had blood work twice, C.T. scans, x-rays...the works. I guess what I want to know is if anyone else has experienced anything to this extent while taking this medication.....Like I said..it seemed like all of these things started right around the time I started taking Citalopram. I'm starting to wonder if the physical tradeoff is worth the mental tradeoff.

Hi. I stopped taking omeprazole on Friday in order to start taking Celexa on Saturday. My stomach hurt really bad Friday night but it's been feeling alright since then. I felt nothing at all Saturday after taking the Celexa. Sunday afternoon however I started feeling the Globus Sensation and it hasn't gone away. It's now Tuesday morning. I'm wondering if you kept taking the Celexa and if the Globus feeling went away and if you stopped taking the Celexa how long it took for the Globus feeling to go away. Please let me know. I'm totally freaked out by this feeling. I really don't want to stop taking Celexa but I will if I have to. I just want to feel normal. Thanks.

Thread Information