Thread: fear of dying

fear of dying

has anyone else got an irrational ear dying and a fear of the fact you could die at any given time it scares the hell out of me had to start back up on my meds again today because its got so on top of me latley! any advice please?????

thanks lee

Re: fear of dying

Hi Lee

Everyone is only an heartbeat away from death Lee. But the majority of people just don't care to think about it. How you overcome your fear of it depends on your beliefs. I would say the easiest way to overcome your fear is to become religious. Religion as served man for thousands of years and still plays a big part in today's society. Some questions in life will never be answered, so religion - from a healthy emotional point of view - is our best bet. I'm an evolutionist, but there are hard facts to swallow believing in that stuff.

Tom

Scroll down to the bottom of this screen and read the Similar threads - you are not alone

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Lee

I to have this fear. When my anxiety is really bad the fear seems to take over my life.

I know we all have to go at some point, but it scares me so much to think about the world carrying on and im not in it.

This then gets me thinking deeper about after we die, the world goes on and on etc.

love mandie x

Your not alone in this lee. i have this fear a lot. The thought that i could die at any moment scares me as well , but knowing that one day i deffo will terrifies me so much. And i know that maybe im silly for this as one day we all have to die but i just cant help it.
    When i think about it to much it makes me feel
    sick
    dizzy
    hot flashes
    heart racing
    and my breathing goes mad
    i dont fear the dieing so much but the thought that i will no longer be here
    i just hope i live a long life and when im old i will be ready to go and welcome it.

kellie.xxxxx

Hi Lee,
    Like everyone has said, you're not alone in feeling like this. I used to be completely obssessed with dying. As with kellie, I was more obssessed with not being here, than the actual process of dying, but it occupied my every waking (and sleeping - I used to have awful dreams) moment.
    Now.....here's the good bit....
    I got over it!!!
    I know it's really hard to believe, but one day you'll turn round and think "I used to worry about that, but now it doesn't bother me".
    That's how I feel!
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not over my panics (far from it in fact), but I can assure you that it is possible to not be obssessed with dying

Anyhoo, hope this helps!
    Take care
    xxx

yup yup. fear of dying myself, and fear of someone close to me dying. i really try hard not to think about it because it starts the circle of anxiety that leads to panic.

i go back to the worry vs concern stuff i learned in group therapy. a worry is something insubstantial that you cannot control, a concern is something you can take steps towards resolving.

so to turn fear of dying from a worry to a concern, you might get a good check over at the doctor, stop any unhealthy habits (like smoking), eat your veggies, etc.

moving into that mindstate helps me feel like i have a little bit of control, although ultimately we dont.

Thread Information