Thread: prescribed citalopram 10mg today - scared !

prescribed citalopram 10mg today - scared !

i had an appointment today at the doctors for my anxiety/panic disorder, just felt like i couldnt quite cope anymore.
    Anyway, doctor was really nice, told me i will need to take these for 6 months, will take 3-4 weeks to kick in and wants to see me back again in 2 weeks to see how im going. Are these really going to help with my anxiety ?
    am i going to feel alot worse before they make me feel better (not sure i can deal with that) and will i be able to come off them in 6 months, what will have changed by then to stop the anxiety ? would welcome any advice from anyone
    Thanks

Shone x

Re: prescribed citalopram 10mg today - scared !

hi hun

there may be side effects in the first couple of weeks, but the benefits outweight the difficulties, for me anyway

dont be scared hun

milly xxx

Hi

I've been on citalopram, 10mg, for a year - dont be put off by that though.

When I look back at all the things that were originally bothering me, believe
    me the list was long, I can safely say that they have made a huge difference to me.

During the time I have been on them I was constantly thinking what the continued use would do. It has given me the breathing space I needed and see things in much different light.

Like you, I was prescribed these and didnt take them initially because of the stated side effects which I was already suffering. Should have done it before, if only I knew what was wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

J

Have no regrets at all now in taking them. Just need to take the time now to be strong to come off of them.

Last edited by eternally optimistic; 13-08-08 at 22:29. Reason: didnt make sense

i am on 30 mg and they do have side effects but mine didnt last long i have been on them off and on for 8yrs now and i have tried loads of others with no luck so stick at it they are good

Hi Shone, Like you, I was prescribed Citalopram last week for depression and what I now realise is anxiety and she also l told me I would probably on them for about 6 months. I started off on 10mg for 6 days and have now upped to 20mg for the last couple of days. So far, other than feeling a bit more tired than usual, I haven’t experienced any of the side effects I have read about on this website. I even posted a message a couple of days ago to ask if this was normal as most people I read about seemed to have horrible side effects straight away. However what I will say is that I feel far calmer than before. All the issues are still there but they don’t seem to matter so much. I don’t know if this is the med taking effect (they do say that it takes 3-4 weeks to take effect) or whether I feel better just for recognising I was depressed and doing something about it. Whatever the reason, stay with it. I’m sure they will help as yours seems to be a temporary blip like mine.

thanks everyone for all your replies, i have decided to take the medication as i had a really big panic attack last night, at first i thought maybe the anxiety was a side effect and that psychologically i was blaming the meds but realised that it could not have been a side affect of the medication yet, as it would be too soon to be in my system and so i do need them to help me.

wishing everyone luck who is on them, just need to beat this now. x

Thread Information