Thread: Is there a valid reason to stop Mirtazapine?

Is there a valid reason to stop Mirtazapine?

I have been taking 15mg for about 2 months now. I take one in the morning, which calms me enough to face the day, and another about 9pm to help me sleep. I was taking just one at night (which was my prescription), but I started taking one in the morning as well, and it makes a real difference. I am noticing that the effects of Mirt are less pronounced, and shorter-lived each day, but I do sleep well.

I have been ordering repeats via email, doctor has been proscribing them with no comment (despite the fact that they should last me 30 days, and only last 14). But as I was emailing the latest repeat request, I wondered if I should start to cut down, or stop? I don't feel like doing so, I do look forward to the morning Mirt, feeling calm and in control after about 30 minutes. I have noticed my memory isn't as reliable, I had a job interview last week and I struggled to answer the questions, and some of them were pretty basic; not sure if this is an effect or coincidence?

I guess any drug should only be seen as temporary, to help you through a period of difficulty or pain, but I don't want to stop the Mirt unless there are compelling reasons to do so? I know it is supposed to be non-addictive, but looking forward to the morning dose as I do could be construed as an addiction?

Regards
    Skybird

Re: Is there a valid reason to stop Mirtazapine?

Hello Skybird. 30-45mg is the usual therapeutic dose for mirtazapine and I'm glad that you are having good results on this dose. What is slightly worrying is that this was not the dose prescribed for you. Mirtazapine is sedating in the lower doses so is usually taken as one dose at bedtime. Two months is a relatively short time to be on an anti depressant. You only expect to see an improvement in symptoms after four to six weeks. I suggest you go back to your GP and tell him what has been going on. I expect that he will suggest that you continue on 30mg. I'm not sure whether he will allow you to continue splitting the dose. I hope things work out for you. Post and let us know how you are getting on. EJ.

Re: Is there a valid reason to stop Mirtazapine?

Hi Skybird - It says on the information leaflet that Mirtazapine is usually prescribed as a single dose before bed-time, however the dose can be split to one tablet in the morning and one at night. Obviously it's best to inform your doctor that you are doing this. There are a couple of other people on the forum who take a day-time dose.

As to cutting down or coming off - only you can decide if the benefits of this medication outweigh the negatives. I don't think it's a sign of addiction that you look forward to your morning dose.

Take care now.
    Belle x

Thread Information