Thread: Blood in saliva

Blood in saliva

Most mornings I wake up with blood in saliva. I think I may have GERD and when I feel acid taste I often get the blood next morning. I'm not coughing this up. Sometimes I simply spit and the blood is there others I use throat muscles to bring up saliva from back of throat and its there. Help - any thoughts?

Re: Blood in saliva

It could be coming from your gums and not throat at all - do you have any gum infections, is your oral hygiene good ?

It could be coming down from the back of your nose, small scale nasal problems, hayfever? scratching your nose internally? Irritated sinuses?

Are you coughing a lot with your indigestion - maybe you have caused throat irritation ?

If you are bringing it up from the back of the throat only, I can't see how it would be coming from your GI tract, as bleeding from that couldn't be 'got up' unless you vommited.

The amount of blood , can you see it, is it observable on a white tissue? The reason I ask this is that acid indigestion can give a horrible taste which can taste metallic.

(disclaimer - not a medic )

I do think sometimes it could be coming from my gums as they have receded and they bleed when I brush them but I don't see blood coming from the gums. Sometimes I can only do it by bringing saliva up from back of throat rather than at the front of my mouth.

I've had a camera down throat months ago which revealed mild inflammation.

This only happens in the middle of the night if I get a taste or first thing in the morning then the saliva clears. Sometimes small amount of blood (1/4 teaspoon total?) on a white tissue, sometimes mixed with yellowy saliva (quite clear on white tissue once dried). After 3 or so spits it clears back to normal for rest of day until next morning.

I'm not coughing really - though I thought it could possibly be related to lungs?

If you get problems with bleeding gums, then I honestly would consider that as the possible cause of this. It sounds like you need a good clean by a hygienist to sort out the gingivitis and the reeceding gums. The gums can often bleed at night, as opposed to the day as you can firstly press on them in your sleeping position and secondly, they can sometimes become dry if you sleep with your mouth open, and that sets the bleeding off. I know this, as when I was decades younger I had issues like this - I'm an obsessive interdental, flosser and cleaner now. You might not see where its coming from as it can happen in gum crevices and behind teeth. Worth checking out?

---------- Post added at 09:23 ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 ----------

though I thought it could possibly be related to lungs?

Your lungs are a long way from your mouth, and to get blood up to the mouth you'd have to be coughing it up.

Yes thanks Carys & good analysis - I tend to sleep with my mouth open too. I wonder if this could be related to GERD also as it tends to be worse when I get bouts of heartburn before bed

Don't know about why you are sleeping with your mouth open, and if related to GERD I'm afraid. Sorry. Once gums are dry from mouth breathing, they kind of stick to your lips and internal dry mouth and it sets bleeding off.

Always look for the most likely explanation first, as its - err - most likely

Thanks Carys and fair point! I suspect - beyond the effects - the answer is for better hygiene, lifetsyle and diet.

Thread Information