Thread: Responsible use of "Benzos" (XANAX etc)

Responsible use of "Benzos" (XANAX etc)

Not talking here about getting addicted to valium etc I am asking if any people out there regularly take a low dose of a benzo ( as these drugs are known as) on a daily basis to help chronic anxiety ?

the reason I ask is appparently this is quite common

Re: Responsible use of "Benzos" (XANAX etc)

The only one I’ve ever used is diazepam, I don’t use it daily but I have used it for a period of up to 6 weeks in the past. Diazepam is the only med I’ve ever found that helps my anxiety, life would be so easy if I could take it daily but the fact is that if you do it stops being effective after a time (sometimes years but it will lose it's effect) and withdrawal from it is apparently hellish. I’m sure there are those how DO take it daily (my neighbour for example uses Librium daily) but they are going to have to face withdrawal at some point.

I am addicted to temazepam, but i was a 'responsible user' following doctors instructions. If I knew then what I know now about them, I'd steer right away!

Hi Frankie - Diazepam works a treat for my anxiety. Tried it the day before my doc gave me a different prescription and it completely went. He's now prescribed Chlordiazepoxide (another benzo) for anxiety and to get me off the drink.

Its working - down to 6 units of alcohol for the last 3 days (from 20+), I have no anxiety at all, no side effects, and my life is back on track.

Now this is just the start of benzos for me, but I do know my doctor has a plan for when I'm alcohol free and it doesn't involve SSRI's or Tricyclics. Don't know what that plan is yet, but he's instilled great confidence in me.

No other med has worked for me. I did take Temazepam for sleep for 3 months but tstopped myself with no adverse effects when it stopped working.

Not saying Benzos are the way for everyone, but gawd I feel like I'm back in control right now.

BTW - just to correct one thing you said about "low dose". Just 0.5mg of Clonazepam (Klonopin) in the equiveleant of taking 10mg of Diazepam. Don't be fooled by thinking a lesser dose means its efficacy is less.

Krakers.

I take Diazepam (Valium) occasionally when I'm getting very panicked, it works very well, better than anything else I've tried. It makes you feel very relaxed and sleepy.

There are a lot of horror stories about addiction and withdrawal so I try not to take them unless it is absolutely necessary and would hate to end up addicted to them. Your tolerance can build up very quickly to these sort of drugs, so you would need to take more and more of them in the long term. Which is why they are not prescribed regularly any more.

They have been a life saver for me at times of severe anxiety. I have taken a couple over the last few days as I'm changing between ad medication and my anxiety has been getting the better of me at times.

Jim

I've used both diazepam (valium) and xanax. Sensibly they are both great so long as we are aware of the potential addiction.

interesting replies, thanks all

Thread Information