Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Down the Colon Cancer rabbit hole again. Do you guys have these same thoughts?

Blood in stool - mistakenly went on colon cancer forum - health anxiety sky high

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while - partly because I've kept the HA at bay - working lots with my psychologist and some self-help books, but also because symptoms have been pretty quiet.

Well, last couple of weeks I have been a bit stressed, had tonsillitis and my little son has just started nursery. A couple of times in the past 2 weeks I have seen blood in my stool. I have a history of piles and have even been to a proctologist who said they were grade 3 and that I should have the op. I don't want to and have been treating them with diet, lots of water, creams and daflon 5000.

So because the blood thing has been quite frequent recently (approx 3 times in the last 2 weeks - not a lot, a small fleck mixed in - once just pinkish when wiping - today pink mucousy residue when wiping, then looked afterwards (so sorry for the TMI) and I saw there was a streak on the side of the stool...

...today I have been googling, I started just on here because usually that keeps the HA at bay but for some reason today I started looking at other stuff (which I haven't done for months) started going looking for symptoms of colitis and ended up looking at colon cancer. Also accidentally found a colon cancer forum where some poor soul had written a post - as we do here - but asking actual colon C sufferers about their symptoms (similar to mine and many other people on here). Well.... they all said that their cases were exceptions to the rule. All those things that we usually reassure ourselves with (ie- fresh pink red blood is ok, your age being young means it's ok etc.) they were all saying that this wasn't the case. I LITERALLY FREAKED OUT. I wish I had never seen that website, I wish I could just erase it from my head because now my HA is sky high. I feel horrible. I've been doing so well with the HA I feel like I have just gone 10,000 steps back.

I don't know what to do, can anyone relate, words of advice?

Sorry and thank you
    xox

Re: Blood in stool - mistakenly went on colon cancer forum - health anxiety sky high

I know what you're going through. Unfortunately, there are always exceptions, but remember that those exceptions are generally the ones that get most attention, whether it's in the press, in support forums, or from our own anxious minds as we're browsing for answers. They stand out precisely because they're exceptional.

For reassurance, a few things to remember:
    1. You don't mention any change in bowel habits, which would be a another likely symptom of CC (although not an indicator of it, since so many other things can cause that as well).
    2. You know you have piles and that they're quite advanced. If you think about the mechanics (without going into detail), a streak of blood is exactly what you'd expect, as well as a bit elsewhere like on the paper or in the bowl.
    3. Despite the exceptions, colon cancer is way more common in older people.
    4. Even amongst those older folks, 9 out of 10 who are referred for a colonoscopy for blood in stool symptoms do NOT have colon cancer.

There's absolutely no way you or a doctor can diagnose OR rule out colon cancer from symptoms. I also know from first hand experience that the 'colour of blood' analysis tells you absolutely nothing. But what you describe doesn't give any reason to suspect CC. Just keep an eye on things, and as always... get checked out if they persist/worsen, remembering that you already know you have a very common condition which can explain what you're describing.

Hang in there.

Re: Blood in stool - mistakenly went on colon cancer forum - health anxiety sky high

Thank you samcxjo so much for replying.

You're right what you say about the exceptions standing out - especially for people with HA.

Thank you for giving me some reassurance with some rational facts. I know that we are told to break away from the reassurance seeking and I really am trying to do this with the CBT work I'm doing as well as with my psychologist.

Things seem to have got a bit out of hand recently as I've been ill - also since I wrote the post I had a bout of food posioning which has - made my stomach go a bit mental, exacerbated the piles, exacerbated my acid reflux etc. alongside some general stress at home (my son has been ill, he's just started nursery, I'm due to go back to work bla bla).

As far as the bowel habit change thing is concerned, my stools have become a lot less bulkier than they used to be and if I start thinking about that too much it starts to freak me out even though rationalising it I think - I eat way more fibre and drink a lot more water than I used to. Also the proctologist said my internal hemmies were causing a partial obstruction - so there is an explanation but sometimes I let these things start spinning around in my head.

I'm waffling now but thank you so much for replying.

Sxxxxx

Down the Colon Cancer rabbit hole again. Do you guys have these same thoughts?

So here I am again.

Quick history, have always been a bit apprehensive about my health but Health Anxiety went through the roof after the birth of my child and complications after the birth. (had placenta remain in the uterus and a benign papilloma removed from bladder). I started seeing a psychologist in May and on the whole I am better but still a long way to go.

I have had IBS since I was in my 20s and piles too but since baby was born started seeing blood in / on stool every couple of months or so for a few days. When I went to my doctor she wasn't worried and just prescribed me cream. But because I kept going back and she saw I was worried she sent me to a proctologist. Proctologist confirmed internal and external piles (internal grade 3, literally called them an obstruction). He prescribed me creams and daflon tablets.

During the summer I did this for a month and symptom subsided. Since then I only use cream / tablets when I feel things are worse. Obviously with internal hemmies it's much more difficult to tell when things are wrong.

1st question to all those with internal hemmies. How do you know when they're playing up? What symptoms do you get?

So since then I haven't really been looking after them but I have been looking after my diet and drinking lots of water and generally things have been going well.

At Christmas I went to my parents and ate pretty badly and things went up the creek again. Was a bit constipated then saw blood on the stool (yes, I do examine it every time I go, I know I shouldn't...) Had a major melt down in front of my parents. My dad (who also has piles for years was very sweet, calmed me down and said he had seen all sorts and that there was nothing wrong with me).

Anyway, came back home and things have been on and off since. I saw blood again last week. Then since last Sunday my bowels have been up the creek completely. Sunday I had to rush to the loo. Then all ok for a couple of days but I had really weird "pinching" sensations in my belly, which then became cramps for another 2-3 days - not painful necessarily but there. Similar to mild period pains. Then on Thursday I had diarrea 3 times and then constipated until today. I managed today but it was very small. Now I feel like I can't wait to go again so I can investigate it and analyze and make sure it's ok.

I'm obsessing, I know. And what's always at the back of my mind? Of course, cancer, it always is with me. I lost all 4 grandparents to cancer (stomach, breast and prostate). I have lost friends - young people to it (lung, kidney, stomach, osophegal)

My rational mind keeps telling me that if it was something bad then it wouldn't come and go, that I'd be feeling a lot worse (on some websites it says the pain associated with colon cancer stops you from being able to eat / sleep). I also had a full abdominal ultrasound about 6 weeks ago (they were mainly checking my kidneys, bladder, pancreas etc) but they mentioned my uterus and imagine they could also see my intestines? I think if something was up they would have seen it? Or maybe those things only show up in a colonoscopy... I think I will go to see my GP with the images from my scan and see what she says...

Today I bought some probiotics which the chemist said would reset my stomach a bit. I know I just have to sit tight and keep and eye on things, and relax obviously. Sigh.

Any info from people who suffer with internal hemmies and IBS would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    xxx

Re: Down the Colon Cancer rabbit hole again. Do you guys have these same thoughts?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Re: Down the Colon Cancer rabbit hole again. Do you guys have these same thoughts?

Thanks Elen, sorry about that, will do in the future.
    Thanks xx

Hello all again,

I have calmed down a bit since Saturday but the thought is still at the back of my mind...

I have some questions if anyone can answer I would really appreciate...

Specifically to people with hemorroids, especially internal ones -

1.how do you know you're having a flare up? (apart from the blood) what do you "feel"?

2.my husband says I should stop looking after I've been to the toilet - ok - but then how do people know when there's a problem if they don't look?

3.does anyone know HOW the "bad" kind of blood in/on stool presents itself?

What I see in mine seems to change in appearance every time... I've seen a streak on the side, bits inside / stuck to the outside, a spot on the TP...

I know it's TMI, I'm so sorry about that, I also know I'm reassurance seeking. This website is my lifeline, I can't see my therapist for another 10 days and it's all in another language (I'm from the UK but live in Europe...)

Thanks guys, any insight from sufferers i would really appreciate.
    Sxxx

I think I had piles a few months back from what I remember, it felt like something was stuck in my bottom, there was a swelling type feeling and I found it uncomfortable to sit down. Hot baths also made it worse.
    I think with piles it can look a lot worse as the blood mixes with the water. I didn't have much bleeding but
    my dad and aunt had tons.
    In terms of the bad blood, I always thought black and sticky were alarm bells.

For what it's worth it sounds like IBS/piles to me. Sinister illnesses don't come on and off. That's what confuses me about mine as I am being led to believe it is IBD but the symptoms such as diarrhoea come and go which isn't typical.
    In your case though I am thinking it is stress IBS and piles. X

Hi Jenni,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I know you're going through a hard time as well atm so I really appreciate it. My rational mind says exactly what you are saying, but then that silly second negative voice pipes up. I am trying to stay busy and concentrate on other stuff and eating healthily and relaxing. Might try and meditate today as well.

I think the same for you, it seems like yours isn't constant either. I saw a great documentary about how our stomach is our second brain. And the same receptors that are present in the brain are present in the stomach (don't ask me about medical terms as I can't remember lol) anyway, the crux of it was that people with stomach problems tend to suffer with mental health problems and vice versa... very interesting.

Anyway, thanks again for replying, really appreciate it.
    We got this
    Sxx

If I thought it was anything more sinister I would say but I honestly think it is a combination of stress, piles and IBS. I know piles symptoms are particularly frightening especially when you see blood but I know from the family members I mentioned that there can be a lot of blood when they went to the toilet. My aunt in particular had really bad internal piles but both her and my dad are fine now.
    Also from my experience, the blood from piles was in different places, some on the stool, some on the toilet paper and some inside the basin so hope that reassures you.

I hope you are right when it comes to me x

I will keep checking back on here, stay strong. All will be well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information