Thread: Fluoxetine - side effects freaking me out

Fluoxetine - side effects freaking me out

I'm new to taking Fluoxetine, well, haven't taken it for 20 years since last bout of depression. I'm on 20mg daily and I take it in morning with breakfast. I'm also taking 80mg slow release propranolol.
    I'm on day 8 of fluoxetine and am now waking up with awful shakes, restless legs, nausea, tingly skin on arms and face and feeling detached from myself.
    These side effects start to wear off within a few hours of taking my next dose.
    Has anyone else experienced this when first starting fluoxetine, and how long is it before these side effects stop, or don't they?
    Last edited by Cat73; 16-06-18 at 07:26.

Re: Fluoxetine - side effects freaking me out

I’ve been on it for 3 days and hate it. The first day I was sweating and anxious plus tingling. Now I’m just anxious and have had a mild headache since yesterday. That could also be because I can’t sleep on this drug. I’m going to discontinue it. When I tried Paxil 3 years ago, I didn’t have any of this. I only didn’t want to go back on because I gained 15 lb rather quickly. I’m small framed and have never had a weight problem so I knew it was the Paxil.

Hi!! So just a word of advice.. I know how hard it is right now, but you have not allowed enough time for the medicine to build up in your system. Yes everyone is different but Prozac is one of the slowest SSRIS to work. But trust me when I tell you, it’s worth the wait! I know a lot of us with anxiety read into side effects (I was one of them) but sometimes you have to go trough the bad to get to the good. These are not uncommon side effects. I find that taking the medicine mid day works best for insomnia. Also a positive outlook really affects the outcome too!! Stick with it!

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

And please reference the timetable for recovery on Prozac in this thread! It helped me during my darkest times ❤️❤️❤️

Thanks CherryOlivia. I am now entering week three and the shakes in the morning are reducing slowly, but have been joined by extreme hot flushes! I have since found the timetable for recovery post which was really helpful. I now realise that Fluoxetine is a long game that I simply have to work my way through.

I hope this doesn't discourage or scare you but various side effects when first starting Prozac lasted 8 weeks for me. Some were horrible, some were mild, and the panic and anxiety was much worse before it got better. But like was said, it was SO WORTH IT! It was life-changing and so worth the wait. Hang in there, try to give it a full 8 weeks.
    Sue

Thread Information