Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anafranil

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

anafranil

i Doctor prescribed me anafranil 100 mg per day. Anyone else on this??

Re: anafranil

Hi obair

Anafranil is a tricyclic antidepressant which are considered more powerful and effective than SSRI's. The reason why doctors prescribe SSRI's rather than tricyclics, seeing that tricyclics are more effective than SSRI's is that they are considered a dirty drug. What that means is that they are not as selective as the SSRI's and can cause more side effects. However, side effects aside, Anafranil is not only a antidepressant but it also as a tranquilliser effect which is ideal for anyone with panic. Of all the antidepressants I've ever had in the past Anafranil was the only one that completely got rid of my depression and panic.

Just to add. The side effects completely go away after a couple of weeks - apart from loss of libido and failure to orgasm if you are a male.

Tom

I don't want to put a negative spin on this medication, but this was the one that put me off all others.

I took TWO, thats all. The first one i took within one hour i had blacked out (while having at the time my 9 month old son in my care and i was alone), i almost vomited on myself and i felt absolutely horrendous. I didn't give in, i took another...and then that was it, i couldn't take any more. The nausea, fainting and dry mouth was more than i could contend with.

I couldn't eat for 2 weeks i felt so sick and achey.
    Good way to lose weight though

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

wonderfull pills and it works

starting this med tomoz as all ssris have had zilch effect for my social anxiety.
    just hope side effects aint gonna be to bad.i have to work and cant spend the day shaking in the house

Thought you were going on Nardil???

Joy

I think you get less side effects with Anafranil than you do with SSRI's. Anafranil don't just work on Serotonin they work on most of the neurotransmitters, even the ones associated with pain, so they also make a good painkiller, especially with spinal pain. 75mg is the optimum dose - well it was for me.

Tom

tom: yup im gonna be taking 75mh eventually,just starting out on 25mg for 3 days then up to 50mg for 3 days then finally full whack of 75mg .
    had 1 tablet a few hours ago,feel like i do when i took ssris,shaky hands,headache,general nervousness...didnt expect to get away totally s/e free...hopefully they will do some good n stop me constanly thinking of myself ,my thoughts,and how others percieve me.

joy: i was hoping to start on nardil,but shrink decided that we should go with the trycylics route first,then if that didnt work we can have a go at nardil.
    got 8 weeks worth so plenty of time to know if they gonna benefit.

hope your keeping well

pete

I was given this drug 19 years ago, and it left me so bad that i went through childbirth twice with absolutely no drugs at all, not because i was brave but because it left me with a terrible fear of ever taking tablets or drugs again. I personally would rather have the panic than the side effects.

di xx

i have been doing some research on various social anxiety sites and generally this med doesnt get great reviews for the treatment of sa.

it even states in the leaflet that it is for anxiety and ocd.
    where as meds like seroxat and nardil will actually mention social anxiety.

ive been on them a week and had dry mouth like im eating flour,cognitive movements are very rigid,shaky hands,headaches.
    yup i know -all the side effects that all anti dep have but im asking myself if its worth the aggro if in the long term im still at square one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information