Thread: Anafranil

Anafranil

Been put on this, sertraline was not really doing the biz

I have been on these for 2 months now. They are used to treat those nasty compulsive thoughts. They seemed to have gone for now but they make me feel very very sleepy zzzzzzzzzzz So I have reduced my dose.

Good luck

Tulip

To be honest these are the most effective drug I have taken

In what way do you think they help?
    I must admit I have felt better since taking them but I cannot define why I feel better - if it is me or the drugs doing it. I am fraustrated at the moment as my regular doctor is away and I seem to be getting bad locums every time I go, who like to push prozac and they try and lure me away onto prozac (less side effects they say). But how I see it, any medic who has to look his information up on a computer or in a manual is untrustworthy I say (probably sponsored). So I am sticking with the Anafranil until I get my regular doctor back who prescribed it in the first place. At rock bottom, beside the barable side effects, it isn't doing me any harm.

Tulip

I have a brilliant psychiatrist, she has told me straight that the older drugs like anafranil are far stronger and GENERALLY more potent and effective than the new ones....thats not to say that prozac etc are not very effective for many people....however I spent an hours appointment with her where she said the newer drugs are pushed and marketed because there is so much money for them...in the states prozac ets are advertised everywhere, the older trycyclic drugs are not....she says doctors who deal with depression and anxiety in hospitals are more experienced than family doctors who are hassled by drug reps.

anafranil is about the best all round drug for anxity, depression and obsessive thoughts BUT it does have side effects....a friend of mine recently overcame cancer...while he was taking drugs his hair fell out and he lost a lot of weight...he is alive...my side effects so far have been a bit of tiredness and constipation, which I have overcome by eating all bran and drinking lotsa of water.....its a non choice in my book...either feel like I am in hell every day or take a drug to help me live...I have chosen a drug to help..I have stopped drinking, dont take on stressful jobs and excercise..but anafranil, at 150 mg a day has saved me

Its nice to hear from someelse has used this drug and is benefitting. The locum doctor was rather rude to me because I refused to go on Prozac. But on the other hand, I do a stressful job and I cannot afford to take too much Anafranil as I will end up too tired. Also the doctor made out I was depressed after only hearing a few sound bites from me. I suffer from anxiety but certainly not depression - I am very active and hold down a busy job well and with enjoyment. The problem is I can feel very bad from time to time and need a little push but its not the whole answer.

Tulip

Thread Information