Thread: Lump under jaw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lump under jaw

Hi all

I have had a small lump just a bit bigger then a pea under my jaw. Its rock hard and moves about and there isn't one on the other side. I have had it for ages but its starting to feel abit uncomfortable. I am worried about going to my GP incase he thinks i am just over reacting and as the lump moves i dont know if he will find it. I can find it instantly but like i say i have had it for ages and it doesn't seem to be causing any harm. Just wondering if anyone ese has had anything similer.

Many thanks
    Blackie

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”

“True bravery is shown by performing without witness what one might be capable of doing before all the world

Re: Lump under jaw

I have exactly the same. I had my usual freakout about it last year, or maybe two years ago, but it hasn't grown since so I've let it go. Stop touching it for a couple of weeks, it will get a little bit smaller, but it will probably still stay there. It's probably a lymph node that is very slightly enlarged, but since it's not growing and it's moving, it's probably harmless.
    I read somewhere that a lymph node has to be bigger than 1 cm to be suspicious... I think mine is about 0.9 cm

It's more than likely a lymph node. They are all over the place around your neck and jaw:

http://www.health-fitness.com.au/lymph-nodes-massage/

They come up and go down all the time. Every time your body has to fight an infection or deal with an injury your lymph nodes can be called into action. Even a little cut can make them come up, or a small ulcer or a minor bacterial infection.

Nodes can stay up permanently sometimes. They are called "shotty" nodes and are harmless. Try to relax about it and stop poking . Maybe just mention it to your doctor next time you are there so that he/she can explain it to you in more depth and reassure you.

Thanks guys. Looking at that diagram it is in the exact place where there is a lymph node. I will stop poking and let it be.lol
    Thanks
    Blackie

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”

“True bravery is shown by performing without witness what one might be capable of doing before all the world

I have a problem on face under my jaw is have like a little ball its not really hard and i can move it around a bit. i worried does annybody know whhat it is

They come up and go down all enough time. Whenever your system has to battle an disease or cope with an damage your lymph nodes can be known as into activity. Even a little cut can make them come up, or a little ulcer or a minimal disease.
    Last edited by Brovy; 06-11-12 at 05:10.

Thread Information